Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
April 28, 2022

Members Present: Rob Browne, Barbara Redmond, and Chris French

Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Mike Poulin, Amy Davidoff, Jim Webb, George Hamar, Peggy Horner, Tom Richards, and Cathy Coyne.

1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Browne at 6:30 pm.

2. Minutes – On a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by C. French, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 4/14/22 meeting as written.

3. Recycling Committee – Amy Davidoff spoke on behalf of the Vassalboro Conservation Commission (VCC). They are requesting that the Select Board reinstate the Recycling Committee and include solid waste disposal. She said the committee could look into new technologies, State & Federal grant funding opportunities, among other things. Amy described LD 1541 enacted by the State Legislature to hold producers of single use plastics responsible for disposal costs, which is to be fully implemented by 2025. Amy stated this is one item the committee could take a look at that will help the Select Board defray planning needs. She acknowledged that the new committee would be considered an advisory committee with no authority. VCC Member Peggy Horner said the committee should be a stand-alone committee and not part of the VCC, although many VCC members have an interest in this solid waste/recycling topic. Amy and Peggy both stated they would serve on the committee. C. French asked Chairman R. Browne why the original recycling committee became defunct, to which Rob responded that he could not recall as it has been too many years. Chairman Browne stated that he was concerned about adding more work for Sabins and Transfer Station Manager George Hamar if this committee was formed. George stated that he didn’t want to go backwards. He wants to stay on board with single stream when the MRC plant comes back online. He’s not interested in sorting recyclables again as there is no market for the product. Amy then stated that she felt we are on hold for now until the MRC decision is made and when the plant reopens. C. French stated he favors appointing the committee. B. Redmond stated the research of State and Federal grant funds would be good and she likes the idea of an advisory committee to do the necessary research that other town officials have little time for. The Board encouraged Amy and Peggy to draft a mission statement for the new committee and to bring it back for consideration.

4. PFAS sites in town – Selectman C. French stated that he had requested the inclusion of this item on the agenda. He receives meeting minutes still from the VCC of which he was a member prior to joining the Select Board. The VCC has been researching PFAS sites in town and had obtained a list of septic sludge spread sites in Vassalboro from the Maine DEP. C. French would like to task the VCC to identify the PFAS issues, with possible use of ARPA funds for mitigation. The DEP list identified three sites in town where the sludge was spread back in the 1990’s. Chairman Browne stated that one of those three sites listed belonged to a member of his family. Spreading of the sludge was approved by DEP but it was never spread on his family’s land. The family member changed their mind because of the smell of the product. The other two sites on the list may have similar circumstances. We are told the State plans to test the PFAS level at all sludge spread sites in the State of Maine, but concerns were expressed that it may take considerable time before the Vassalboro sites are tested. P. Horner stated that the VCC doesn’t want to be the enforcers – they just want to collect the information. The VCC will share info with the Board as they acquire it. C. French stated more thought will be put into this topic and possibly revisit the matter in the fall after the new Board member is on board.

5. Municipal Clerk’s Week Proclamation – The Board and Sabins thanked Town Clerk Cathy Coyne and her deputies for the great job they are doing as municipal clerks for the Town. After brief discussion and on a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by C. French, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Proclamation naming May 1-7 as Municipal Clerk’s Week as promoted by the Maine Town and City Clerk’s Association.

6. Annual Town Meeting Warrant - After brief discussion and on a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by C. French, the Board voted unanimously to sign the June 6-14, 2022 Annual Town Meeting Warrant as presented.

7. Reports – On a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by C. French, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Road Report as presented.

8. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by C. French, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #61, #62, and #63. C. French inquired if installation of the trash compactors at the Transfer Station would be completed on George’s day off when the Station is closed to the public. Transfer Station Manager George Hamar stated that he would prefer to be present when installation is performed. Sabins stated that there is money in the budget to pay George overtime for the extra work day(s) when installation occurs during off-hours.

9. Other1. On a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by C. French, the Board voted unanimously to sign the ordinance amendment certification notice to the town clerk for proposed changes to the Marijuana Business Ordinance. 2. Sabins informed the Board that on May 19th at 4 pm at Box Mill Dam in the North Village area, an Alewife Celebration event is being planned by Maine Rivers Director Landis Hudson. It is anticipated that Governor Janet Mills plans to be in attendance. 3. C. French inquired about changing the wording of the Solar Ordinance straw poll question in the Warrant until realizing it was too late as the warrant had already been signed. 4. B. Redmond inquired if the straw poll question would be discussed at both the open town meeting and on the written ballot. For clarification, Sabins explained and read aloud the town meeting warrant that indicates which articles are to be discussed during open town meeting and which ones would be on the ballot. The straw poll question will be on the written ballot only. 5. B. Redmond inquired of Sabins about website redesign. Sabins stated she has done some limited research. 6. Tom Richards stated the VFW is planning a Memorial Day wreath laying event. 7. Tom Richards stated the trailer located at the dangerous building site on 14 Priest Hill Road has been moved and a fence has been erected.

10. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.


These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 5/12/22 with the following amendments: None.