Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
September 29, 2011
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Rick Denico, Sr., Chuck O’Neal, Kenneth Farrell, George Hamar, Lance & Jennifer Cloutier, Ed & Nicole Wasilewski, Russell Ibbitson, Tom O’Rourke, Rick Denico, Jr., James & Martha Wentworth, Kristen Bowker, Jean Poulin, Jim Schad, Mike Farrell, and one unknown member of the public.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 9/15/11 meeting as written.
3.New Business – a. Recreation Department – Director Nicole Wasilewski began the discussion by inquiring again why Kristen Bowker was not appointed to the Recreation Committee and that the Town was missing out on an opportunity for a grant writer. Selectman Browne stated that the Board made appointments that best fit the needs of the Committee. The Board also stated that Sabins could write the grant if Bowker was not willing to do it as a non-committee member. A page-by-page review of the Recreation Committee By-laws ensued with each member of the Board of Selectmen and the Town Manager providing comments and suggestions for amendments. After general discussion, it was agreed Nicole would incorporate the changes suggested and submit a new version for discussion at the October 13th Selectmen’s meeting. b. Tax abatements – After brief discussion, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve abatements for uncollectible personal property taxes on the following tax accounts: #307, #315, #94, #289, #266, #123, #75, #272, #147, and #313.
4.Old Business – a. Personnel Handbook revisions – The Board conducted an extensive review of the comments made by the staff at the last Selectmen’s meeting and made changes to the draft of the Personnel Handbook as the Board deemed appropriate. Several staff members were in attendance to observe the discussion and they provided feedback when questioned by the Selectmen or the Manager. The longest discussion involved the proposed change as written to make all lunch breaks unpaid breaks; the Selectmen made no change in the proposed language of this section of the Handbook at this time. Sabins will make the updated changes to the policy, do some research on creating a sick time bank, and bring the results back for discussion at the next meeting on October 13th.
5. Reports – a. Status Report – Chairman Haines read the update from Attorney Stevens on items listed on the status report. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
6. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #15 and #16.
7. Other – 1. It was noted that the Town has won first place in the MMA Annual Town Report competition. The congratulatory letter and plaque was observed. 2. A thank you letter from the school for the work the Public Works staff provided for parking lot improvements was noted. 3. Sabins informed the Board that she is working on job descriptions and evaluation forms that will need to be reviewed by the Board soon. 4. It was noted that Steve Jones has recently planted a combination of eight River Birch and Flowering Crab Apple trees around the Town Office lawn that were obtained free from the donation of Dutton’s Nursery in Morrill, which is closing soon due to retirement. 5. Sabins provided an update on the recycling building construction project underway at the transfer station.
8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:40 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 10/13/11 with the following amendments: None.