Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
September 24, 2008
Members Present: Lauchlin Titus and Rob Browne
Members Absent: Libby Mitchell
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Paul Mitnik, George Gould, Mary Grow, Francis Joseph and two others.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Selectman Browne at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 9/10/08 meeting as written.
3.Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #15, #16 and #17 as presented.
4. Reports – The Board agreed to take up this agenda item later in the meeting.
5. New Business –
a .The public hearing for Automobile Graveyard/Hobbyist Permit Applications was opened for discussion at 7:10 p.m. Code Officer Paul Mitnik read the spreadsheet he had prepared naming all applicants that he recommends approval for, and those that he recommended denial due to lack of receipt of an application and permitting fees. There was no comment from the public other than Francis Joseph who introduced himself and stated that he was in attendance to answer any questions that the Board may have. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the recommendations made by Paul for licensing, and the hearing was closed at 7:20 p.m.
Licenses with Standard Conditions were approved for the following:
Stan Garnett d/b/a Garnett Motors at 1616 North Belfast Ave.
Dale Clement d/b/a Bondo’s at 471 Taber Hill Road
Fred Pullen d/b/a Freddies at 1043 Cross Hill Road
William Pullen d/b/a Freddies at 163 So. Stanley Hill Road
Licenses with Special Conditions were approved for the following:
Jim Cogley d/b/a Ron’s Parts at 510 Main Street
Voit Ritch d/b/a Autowerkes at Ritch Road
Keith Lemieux at 79 Priest Hill Road
Francis Joseph at 148 Priest Hill Road
Olin Charette at 1499 Riverside Drive
6. Reports – The Board resumed the regular agenda and returned to the Status Report. Manager Sabins reviewed each item on the status report. L. Titus suggested and R. Browne agreed that the two subjects of Francis Joseph and Olin Charrette could be removed from the status report as the Code Officer had just given an updated report on those two automobile graveyards and they have been re-licensed for another year.
7. New Business – (revisited)
a.The chain link fence bids were reviewed and discussed. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to award the bid to the low bidder Security Fence Company for $3,996.00 pending satisfactory reference checks by the Town Manager.
b.On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to sign the resolution for Bangor Savings Bank to add Mary Sabins’ and Jean Poulin’s names to the school’s payroll account.
8. Other – 1. The Board signed the MMA voting delegate ballot and designated Mary Sabins as the delegate to represent Vassalboro at the annual meeting to be held during the MMA Convention.
2. An invitation to the Winslow High School open house was read.
3. Sabins informed the Board that the Registrar of Voters will have extended office hours until 7:00 p.m. on October 30th to comply with State law requirements.
4. L. Titus gave a brief update on the School Committee’s efforts to consolidate with Waterville and Winslow schools to form an AOS. L. Titus also requested to put the subject on the next Selectmen’s agenda for discussion.
9. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on October 8, 2008 with the following amendments: none.