Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
September 16, 2010
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, and George Gould
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 9/2/10 meeting with the following correction: In section 2 concerning approval of the minutes, the motion was made by R. Browne and seconded by L. Titus. Phil Haines could not have participated in the motion, since he was not present at the meeting.
3. New Business –
a. Public Hearing on the Town of Vassalboro Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Ordinance – The Public Hearing was opened by Chairman Titus at 7:01 p.m. There were no members of the public in attendance and no public comment was heard. Hearing none, the Chairman closed the public hearing at 7:02 p.m. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Ordinance Certification form to the Town Clerk. Immediately following the signing of the certification, a new motion was made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, and voted unanimously by the Board to sign the Town Meeting Warrant calling for the secret ballot election to be held on November 2, 2010 to vote on the proposed ordinance.
b. MMA Delegate – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to nominate Mary Sabins to serve as the voting delegate for the Town of Vassalboro at the annual Maine Municipal Association business meeting to be held at the annual MMA Convention in October.
4. Reports – a. Status Report – Sabins gave a brief update on the three items listed on the status report. b. Road Report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the road report as presented. Brief discussion was given about one of the road crew workers having a near-miss accident while flagging. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the financial report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #18 and #19.
6.Other – 1. Sabins inquired if the Board wished to participate in making a Spirit of America Award presentation for 2010 to recognize a volunteer within the community. The Board stated they would like to contemplate a potential recipient, and discuss the matter again at the next meeting. 2. Sabins alerted the Board that it was recently discovered that an erroneous computer program setting has caused errors within the recording of vacation hours for the staff over multiple years. Whenever accrued comp time was used and deducted from the employees’ accounts during payroll processing, the same amount of vacation pay was also deducted by the system at the same time. The Board supported Sabins’ plan to do the research and make the necessary changes to make it right for the affected employees. 3. L. Titus provided an update on his email correspondence with the Bike and Pedestrian Committee. An engineer has been contacted to provide a study on the location of the proposed sidewalk or pathway for the Bog Road. The Board will continue their discussion about the parking issue on the Bog Road when the engineer has completed his proposal. 4. L. Titus stated that the wood debris pile has been chipped and removed at the Transfer Station. 5. The Board agreed by consensus to cancel the third meeting in September on September 30th, and to hold the next meeting on Thursday, October 14th at the regularly scheduled interval. Selectman Haines stated he would be unable to attend the October 14th meeting due to a wedding anniversary celebration he had planned.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 10/14/10 with the following amendments: None.