Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
September 3, 2020

Members Present: Rob Browne, John Melrose, and Barbara Redmond

Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Mike Poulin, Landis Hudson, Greg MacAlister, Paige Martin, Mike Vashon, Richard Green, Nate Gray, Becky Goodrich, Ray Breton, Al Roy, Walker Thompson, and Matt Streeter.

1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Melrose at 6:30 p.m.

2. Minutes – On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by B. Redmond, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 8/20/20 meeting as written.

3. Auditor Ron Smith – Mr. Smith was unable to attend the meeting due to a family medical issue. He has rescheduled his visit to the next Select Board meeting on September 17th.

4. Public Hearing – TIF Distribution – Chairman Melrose declared the public hearing open at 6:31 p.m. Maine Rivers Executive Director Landis Hudson provided an update on the Box Mill Dam fishway construction project that is underway this summer. She stated that the project is going well and that the TIF funding that has been granted to the fishway projects over the years has been much appreciated. The TIF funding has permitted the construction work to take place. Chairman Melrose reiterated to the audience that Maine Rivers had submitted a TIF funding application that was approved by the Select Board in April 2020. Partial funding in the amount of $83K was given to them in April, with a promise to give the remaining funds of $60K when the TIF fund was replenished in the fall of 2020. Then, sewer project engineer Richard Green was given an opportunity to speak. He stated that the sewer main project is pretty much done now and in operation. Sewage is now flowing to Winslow. Odor control issues remain and they are working on addressing those now. He stated the sewer district has to pay bills now and they continue to seek TIF funding for financial relief. There are still another 11 or 12 people to hook into the system, which will help with revenue, and Duratherm Window has already hooked into the system about a month ago. Mike Vashon asked if further grant funding was available to help pay down the debt. Richard answered that no further grant funding will be available to the district going forward. The sewer district has both a 30-year loan and a 40-year loan with annual payments that will need to be paid. Vashon asked if the town will help private citizens with septic system replacements. It was explained that this would not be an approved use of TIF funding. After discussion and on a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by B. Redmond, the Board voted at 6:41 pm to close the public hearing. R. Browned moved approval of giving $60K to Maine Rivers from the TIF Development Fund for the Alewife Restoration Project. The motion was seconded by B. Redmond and approved unanimously by the Board. The Board then discussed the balance to leave in the TIF fund. R. Browne stated he prefers to leave $10K in the fund in case something happens. J. Melrose stated that after the research he has performed with the Maine Rural Water Association to determine the average sewer rate fee charged by districts in Maine, he does not feel that the Town has enough money in the TIF fund to subsidize the Vassalboro Sanitary District to bring the rates down to average cost. R. Browne moved to approve a gift of $50K from the TIF Development Fund for the Sanitary District, and to leave a balance of $10,245 in the fund. The motion was seconded by B. Redmond and voted unanimously by the Board.

5. Calderwood Engineering Representatives Greg MacAlister and Paige Martin provided handouts and a verbal update of the Gray Road culvert replacement design. Their design is for an 18’ span pre-cast concrete culvert. The bid package is prepared and ready to put out to bid for the work to be done next summer once a bid deadline is established. The in-water work window is July 15 through September 30th. Proposed road closure dates will also need to be included in the bid package. The more flexible the town can be, the better the bid price is anticipated. The projected cost for the project is estimated to be between $120K and $175K, based on other similar projects that the Calderwood representatives are familiar with. The Town will review the bid specs. A tentative plan was made to put the work out to bid in December.

6. Fire Department (FD) discusses fire truck lease – Mike Vashon stated that the FD has learned that their FEMA grant application for a pumper fire truck was not successful again this grant round. The voters at the June 2020 town meeting authorized the lease purchase of a fire truck if the grant was not successful. Mike has met with Chris Champagne, the Vice President of Sales/Marketing for Greenwood, a fire truck manufacturing company. Members of the Vassalboro FD have designed the pumper truck that they need, which is priced at $334K by Greenwood. Copies of the truck design and proposed financial arrangements were distributed to the Select Board Members by Vashon. The proposed funding by Tax Exempt Leasing Corporation would provide a five-year lease on $334K at a rate of 2.53% with an annual payment in the amount of $73,335.06. No formal Select Board action was requested by the FD at this time. Chief Walker Thompson agreed to provide tours of the two fire stations for the Select Board and the Town Manager on Wednesday, October 28th at 4:00 p.m. All parties will meet at the Riverside Fire Station at 4 p.m. to begin the tours.

7. Reports – On a motion made by B. Redmond, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Road, Police, and Financial Reports as presented. No First Responders’ Report was available for review.

8. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by B. Redmond, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #13, #14 and #15.

9. Other1. Sabins stated that she plans to take a vacation time tomorrow and next week after Monday’s Labor Day Holiday. 2. The retired police cruiser was sold to Ron’s Auto Parts for salvage for $300. This amount is nearly double the amount of the one cruiser bid of $151.50 that was received at the last meeting. 3. The Recreation Department’s events was briefly discussed. The planned color me fun run was shut down by the Maine CDC for potential violation of the COVID-19 social distancing rules. 4. Chairman Melrose stated that the Trails Committee plans a work party on town trails on September 19th. Discussion was also given about a possible Haunted Trail event this fall. 5. The idea of adding a fishing dock along the Shore of China Lake leading to Outlet Stream was discussed. Research needs to be done regarding funding and a source for the dock. 6. The need for maintenance on the infield of the school ball field at the recreation fields was discussed. Sabins will contact Superintendent Pfeiffer about it. 7. A meeting of the Webber Pond Association is scheduled to take place on the town office lawn on Saturday, September 5th.

10. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

/mss

These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 9/17/20 with the following amendments: None.