Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
October 28, 2010
Members Present: Rob Browne, Phil Haines, and Lauchlin Titus (7:07)
Others Present: Mary Sabins, David Jenney, George Gould, Mary Grow, Pam Colvin, Bob Turner, Holly Weidner, and Dave Souza.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Selectman Browne in the absence of Chairman Titus who was delayed on his return from a business trip, but was expected to arrive momentarily.
2. Minutes – Action on the acceptance of the minutes of the October 14, 2010 meeting was postponed until later in the meeting when Selectman Titus would be present. Selectman Haines was not able to vote on the acceptance of these minutes as he was not present at that meeting.
3. New Business – (taken out of agenda order)
a. Public Hearing – The public hearing on the adoption of the new General Assistance Ordinance appendixes was opened at 7:00 p.m. by Selectman Browne. There was no public comment and the hearing was subsequently closed. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to adopt the General Assistance Appendixes as proposed.
b. Roadside Committee update – postponed until Chairman Titus arrives.
c. Graveyard/Hobbyist permits – The Board signed the remaining permits that were approved at the last meeting after public hearing, but were not yet prepared for signature.
d. Office closing – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to close the town office early on November 18th at 5:00 p.m. to allow the office staff to attend training in Augusta.
e. AARP training – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to authorize Harvey Boatman to use the town office conference room for a daytime AARP driver education training class.
4. Reports – a. Status report – Sabins informed the Board that the appeal hearing for Jon Blumberg will need to be rescheduled due to a meeting notification error. No other action taken. b. Road report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the road report as written. Selectman Titus arrived at this time (7:07) and Selectman Browne updated the Chairman on the accomplishments of the meeting so far. Chairman Titus resumed his duties as Chair of the meeting and continued on with the agenda. c. Financial report – no action taken.
5.New business (revisited)
a. Roadside Committee Report – Committee Co-Chairs Bob Turner and Pam Colvin were present for the discussion. Pam distributed a summary and map of the results of the MDOT engineer’s recommendation for sidewalk installation at the Rt. #32 and Bog Road intersection. The proposed map restricts parking along the shoulder of the road 31’ from the intersection, but allows parking for a distance that is commonly used for parking now, and restricts parking again for a distance before the new Gidney driveway. Locations for the proposed sidewalks on three of the four corners are also depicted on the map. It was stressed that the map is a preliminary design which is not drawn to scale and is not a finished product. General discussion was given about the grant funding process for the sidewalk installation. No formal action was taken by the board, but Chairman Titus did thank Bob and Pam for all of their time invested in this project and for the work they have accomplished.
6. Minutes – On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the October 14th meeting as written.
7. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #24 and #25.
8. Other – a) Sabins gave an update on the results of the Household Hazardous Waste Day held on October 16th. The town was billed $678.36 for the 17 units of material collected from our residents that day. b) The Board took no action on the KVCAP Open House invitation. c) P. Haines reported that it appears the snowmobile club building has not recently been re-shingled. Questions have arisen whether non-profit agencies are exempt from disposal fees. d.) David Jenney inquired about the energy grant deadline.
9. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:07 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 11/18/10 with the following amendments: None.