Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
October 25, 2012
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Mary Grow
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 7:02 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 9/27/12 meeting as written.
3. General Assistance Public Hearing – Chairman Browne opened the public hearing at 7:03 p.m. There was no public in attendance at the meeting other than Town Line Reporter Mary Grow and she had no comment on the proposed Appendix C. Chairman Browne immediately closed the hearing and the Selectmen proceeded to vote unanimously to adopt Appendix C, based on a motion made by P. Haines, and seconded by L. Titus.
4. Recreation Committee By-Laws – A motion was made by P. Haines and seconded by L. Titus to approve the Recreation Committee By-laws as amended at the last meeting and as presented here tonight for approval. Just before the vote was taken, Recreation Committee Director Nicole Wasilewski appeared at the meeting. Chairman Browne explained to Nicole that a motion had just been made to approve the by-laws and asked if she came to the meeting to provide public comment on the by-laws before the Board took a vote. Nicole asked if any further changes since the last meeting had been made to the by-laws, to which Chairman Browne confirmed that no other changes had been made. Nicole said she was okay with the proposed by-laws and she left the meeting as the Board took the final vote of approval.
5. Quit claim deed – After a brief explanation from M. Sabins that signing this quit claim deed is necessary due to an undischarged tax lien from 1973. This quit claim will clear the title for a property owner attempting to refinance their mortgage. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Quit Claim deed for Joshua Noll and Jennifer Noll.
6. Appeals Board vacancy – The Board discussed possible candidates to fill the vacancy on the Appeals Board. Residents Bill Browne, Gary Coull, and Don Breton were suggested as possible nominees for the position. Each Selectman picked a name and will contact the person before the next meeting to see if they would be willing to serve the two year term. The Board will discuss this subject again at the next meeting, and hopefully make an appointment.
7. November Board meeting date – After discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L .Titus, the Board voted unanimously to change their November 22nd (Thanksgiving) meeting date to Wednesday, November 21st at 9:30 a.m.
8. Christmas holiday hours – After brief discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to close the town office at 1:00 p.m. on Monday, December 24th. The Board also approved holding a Christmas luncheon for the staff on Friday, December 21st at noon.
9. Reports – a. Status Report – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Police Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. d. Treasurer’s report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
10. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #31 and #32.
11. Other – 1. Sabins informed the Board that Transfer Station Manager George Hamar planned to have an old roll-off container repaired at the transfer station to save on having to lease a container that we have been using. The leased container will be returned. 2. Sabins informed the Board that she has written letters to the abutters of the tax acquired property formerly owned by Patrick Sullivan seeking to learn their interest in obtaining the land from the town. Sabins has received one positive response so far, with the response deadline of November 2nd for the other abutters. 3. Receipt of a thank you note from Hospice Volunteers for our annual contribution of $1,600 was noted. 4. L. Titus provided an update to the Board on the activities of the Vassalboro Business Association (VBA). Mrs. Linda Titus is the new VBA Chairman and one of the projects the VBA desires to undertake is purchasing flags for the telephone poles on Main Street. Attaching anything to CMP poles requires a written agreement between the town, the Telephone Company, and CMP. More on this matter will follow when the information becomes available.
12. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 11/8/12 with the following amendments: None.