Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
October 7, 2009

Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines

Others Present: Mary Sabins, George Hamar, Tom Richards, Chuck O’Neal, Mary Grow, Ken Farrell, JJ Wentworth & wife, Thomas O’Rourke, Nancy Hinds, Russell Ibbitson, Gene Field, Don Breton, Paul Mitnik, Greg O’Halloran, and Heather Meader.

  1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 7:00 p.m.
  2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 9/23/09 meeting as written.
  3. New Business b. Transfer station attendant position - Since there were many audience members present for the discussion on whether to fill the vacant transfer station attendant position, the Chairman decided to take that agenda item out of order and discuss it at the beginning of the meeting. Selectmen Haines and Titus stated that they had requested to have this discussion during tonight’s meeting to meet the Budget Committee’s expectations of reducing costs where possible. Public Works Director Gene Field stated that two men are needed at the transfer station because one minute the station could have no customers; the next minute, the place could be swamped with cars and one person alone cannot keep up with it. Also, Gene stated he didn’t think the current temporary practice of sharing staff between the two departments was going to work in the wintertime as he needed all of his staff in the trucks plowing snow. New Transfer Station Manager George Hamar expressed concern about working alone at the station because it is dangerous and also because he handles cash there. Other members of the public works staff and the public also expressed their thoughts that the vacant position needs to be filled. With no further discussion, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to fill the vacant position at the transfer station.
  4. Reports – a. Status Report – Sabins read the three items on the status report including the Leo Barnett case, Coyote Ridge, and the Cemetery Records and provided any available updates on each. The Selectmen reviewed the agenda for the upcoming first meeting of the new Cemetery Committee and the list of tasks identified by the Manager for the committee members to work on. No changes were made by the Selectmen. It was noted that resident Ray Breton, who had been selected for appointment by the Selectmen to serve on the Cemetery Committee, has opted not to accept the appointment. The Board chose to stay with the three members previously appointed and not to add an additional appointment. Coyote Ridge resident Chuck O’Neal was present for discussion on any developments in the Coyote Ridge Subdivision matter. The town attorney has rendered his opinion that the information concerning the JKP Properties Corporation previously provided by O’Neal and Mike Farrell will not help the town’s case against JKP Properties and owner John Perron. Sabins will contact DEP Representative Amy Lemelin to learn what the DEP plans to do about Perron’s non-compliance issues with that department concerning the Coyote Ridge Road subdivision. Chairman Browne will contact another State official that he knows to learn what action the State can and will take. b. Road report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as written. c. Police report – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Police report as written.
  5. New Business (continued) – a. Greg O’Halloran – Greg presented a new revised written consent agreement based on the verbal agreement reached at the last Board meeting. The Board did not sign the new agreement at the meeting, citing that Sabins and Mitnik should have an opportunity to review the document prior to signing. P. Haines emphatically told Mr. O’Halloran that he wanted the work done by December 1st and not to wait for a signed agreement to continue the asbestos removal work. Mitnik reported that he had talked with O’Halloran’s asbestos removal contractor and they report the work has been delayed due to an unpaid invoice. Greg agreed there is an unpaid invoice, but the delay was due to a logistics problem in scheduling the contractors to do the asbestos removal work. c. Shoreland Zone permit fee – Sabins reported that the Code Officer Paul Mitnik had issued the Town a permit to perform the boat ramp renovation at Webber Pond, and a motion was in order to waive the permit fee we would be paying to ourselves. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to waive the $25 permit fee.
  6. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #22 and #23.
  7. Other – 1. Sabins noted that the Town had won the Superior Award in the annual MMA Town Report Competition. The award letter was read and the framed certificate was displayed. 2. L. Titus stated that he had inquired of the Planning Board at their meeting the night before about the status of the former business in North Vassalboro named Carl’s Quick Stop. The store went out of business over a year ago and there is still an underground tank at that location that presents a hazard if it is leaking. Code Officer Mitnik will research. 3. L. Titus stated that he had received a phone call from Ron DesRosiers about a grant for planning for alternative energy, which Lauchlin stated he will pursue if the Board was interested. The Board gave their approval. 4. Tom Richards inquired if the Board has any plans to create another larger transfer station so new improvements can be made. Tom is concerned that the solid waste compactor does not provide enough compaction and the present use of the town backhoe to compact the garbage he considers a dangerous practice. There are no plans for changes at the transfer station at this time. 5. Don Breton asked about the impact to the Town if Tabor passes at the polls in November. The impact has not been calculated.
  8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:04 p.m.

/mss

These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 10/21/09 with the following amendments: None.