Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
November 21, 2012
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Patrick Sullivan, Mike Edgecomb, Susan Cover, John & Philip Wentzell, and Dick Phippen (9:50 a.m.).
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 9:28 a.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 11/8/12 meeting as written.
3. Time Warner Cable Franchise Renewal – Sabins explained that the current cable franchise agreement expires in March 2014 and this meeting with Time Warner Representative Mike Edgecomb is the first meeting to discuss the renewal process. Sometimes the renewal process can be lengthy while negotiating an agreement, so Sabins felt we should begin early. After this explanation, the Board discussed the template agreement with Mike Edgecomb that he had provided for this initial discussion. Sabins had previously provided to the Selectmen the Time Warner (TW) template agreement along with the Maine Model Cable Franchise agreement in the agenda packets. Prior to the meeting, Selectman Titus had compared the two different agreements and noted at the meeting many of the items in the Maine Model Agreement that were missing from the TW template agreement that seemed pertinent to include in the next agreement. Mr. Edgecomb stated that he was not opposed to the Maine Model Agreement and could amend his agreement to reflect the desired changes. After discussion, the Board agreed to have Sabins and Mr. Edgecomb work together to create a draft agreement that included a 3% franchise fee for discussion at the upcoming meetings. L. Titus also stated that he would like to have a public hearing on the proposed agreement.
4. Reports – a. Status Report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #36 and #37.
6. Other – 1. Patrick Sullivan appeared at the meeting and stated that he was surprised to learn that the Town had foreclosed on his land off Maple Ridge Road. He asked if it is too late for him to pay his three years of back taxes and reclaim his property. He stated that he moved to Canada for a year to help his mother sell her house and move back to Maine. He stated he could pay the outstanding taxes in full in early January 2013. Sabins offered to show proof of notices that were sent to Mr. Sullivan as required by law, but the notices were returned by the postal service. Mr. Sullivan acknowledged that he did not leave a proper address for his mail to be forwarded to. The Board members informed Mr. Sullivan that proper procedures were followed by the Town which resulted in foreclosure of the property, and it is now a long time too late to ask to pay taxes to reclaim his property.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 10:15 a.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 12/6/12 with the following amendments: None.