Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
November 18, 2009
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Jean Poulin, Cathy St. Pierre, Jim Schad, Peter Bragdon, Victor Esposito, David Jenney, George Gould, Mary Grow, Elizabeth Davis, Peter Victor, Jim Lowell, Brian Kent, Paul Mitnik, Dick Phippen, Holly Weidner, and Greta Joseph.
- Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 7:00 p.m.
- Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 11/4/09 meeting as written.
- New Business – a. Rancourt Farm owner Jim Lowell and farm operator Peter Victor, along with Jim’s land planner Brian Kent, spoke with those present for the meeting and described their desire to preserve farm land in the town and to rekindle the farming industry. Jim and his team desire to open up the use of the Rancourt Farm for educational purposes, a farmer’s market, public use of the buildings on site, and many other possibilities not yet envisioned. The idea of giving the Town a conservation or agricultural easement on the property in the future to preserve it forever as farmland was also discussed. They sought verbal support from the Selectmen to encourage development of the farm for agricultural purposes. The Selectmen stated they support agricultural activities in the Town and value the farming history that was prominent in Vassalboro. Victor Esposito stated that this was a good opportunity to introduce children in the school system to the farming industry and he was looking forward to participating. A general question and answer session ensued. No formal action was required or taken by the Board. b. Town office hours – The town office staff was present and explained to the Board that very few customers come in on Tuesday night from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. They requested that the Board set the Tuesday night office hours to close at 5:00 p.m. The staff stated they would reduce their lunch time from one hour to one-half hour to make up for the reduction in hours and maintain a 40 hour work week. After brief discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the staff’s request and to make the change effective January 1, 2010. c. Holiday hours – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to close the town office and the transfer station at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 24th and to close the town office and transfer station at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 31st. d. Spirit of America Award – The Board discussed possible recipients for the award and selected one candidate. The award presentation will be done in January after the holidays. e. MRC ballot – After discussion on the ballot candidates, the Board agreed by consensus to vote for Greg Brown.
- Reports – a. Status Report – Items on the report were reviewed by Sabins. b. Road Report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the road report as written. c. Financial Report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the financial report as written.
- Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #32, #33, and #34.
- Other – 1. After discussion, the Board agreed by consensus to pay the 6-month county tax bill in one lump sum, rather than in installments with interest due. 2. L. Titus informed the Board that he had completed and submitted the energy grant application. 3. P. Haines stated that he had met with DMR representative Nate Gray recently concerning sanitary district business, and learned during that visit that the DMR is considering stocking China Lake with Alewife and creating a fish ladder.
- Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 12/2/09 with the following amendments: None.