Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
May 16, 2019

Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and John Melrose

Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Vivian Flam, Matthew Freytag, Bernie & Jody Welch, Gene Field, Billy & Roxanne Pullen, and Jonathan Blumberg (7:00).

1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 6:30 p.m.

2. Minutes – On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 5/2/19 meeting as written.

3. Speed limit change on South Stanley Hill Road – Chairman Titus sensed that the majority of the members in the audience came to hear discussion on this topic, so he decided to take up the topic first, out of agenda order. Chairman Titus explained that the Town had reached out to MDOT Engineer David Allen to research the feasibility of lowering the speed limit on South Stanley Hill Road as requested by the residents living in that neighborhood. As reported to Manager Sabins, David said he could go one of two ways:  The current limit is 30 mph the entire road.  He said if he recommended reducing the limit to 25 mph it would start at the Friends Church to the Rt. #32 intersection; the rest of the road would increase to 35 mph or the Selectmen could leave it the way it is at 30 the entire length.  He recommends the latter and leave it alone. The residents had many questions as to the logic behind this, which the Selectmen could not answer. After discussion, the Board asked Sabins to arrange to have David Allen come to a future Selectmen’s meeting for discussion on this topic. The public will be notified when the meeting date is scheduled. In the meantime, the Board asked Sabins to have the Police Chief increase his speed patrol in the South Stanley Hill Road area.

4. Transfer Station entrance – Sabins distributed copies of a map prepared by Selectman John Melrose, depicting the proposed new entrance to the transfer station. Discussion ensued about the pros and cons of the plan. Transfer Station Manager George Hamar was unable to attend the meeting, but Sabins conveyed to the Board comments provided by Hamar that he was concerned the proposed flow of traffic would cross over at the entrance and create a hazard. Chairman Titus suggested the flow could be re-routed to keep traffic to the right and the hazard would be avoided. Cones and barriers could be put in place to train users of the new traffic flow. PW Director Gene Field indicated that Hamar has used traffic cones in the past, but they are not currently in use and he is uncertain why. Selectman Melrose asked Gene Field to give some thought to snow removal functions if the ground work is changed to this new layout. Gene agreed that he would do that and also to consider the underground drainage that is located in the area. Prior to leaving the meeting for the evening, Gene distributed info on culvert replacement on the Gray Road and Cross Hill Road as provided by Dirigo Timberlands Company. No discussion was given on this topic.

5. South Stanley Hill Road speed limit (revisited) – Because of the late arrival of resident Jon Blumberg who lives on the road, Chairman Titus recapped the discussion given previously in the meeting on this topic. Blumberg stated a change in the speed limit won’t make any difference as people speed anyway. He would like to see 25 mph for the entire length of the road.

6. Summer meeting schedule – After brief discussion, the Board agreed by consensus to set Thursday, July 18th and Thursday, August 15th as the two summer meeting dates. Both meetings will begin at 6:30 p.m.

7. Reports – On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Road and Transfer Station Reports as presented.

8. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #64 and #65.

9. Other1. After discussion and on a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by J. Melrose, the Board voted unanimously to take Sabins’ recommendation on the cleaning and maintenance needs at the town office and to authorize her to make arrangements within budget to get the floor and window cleaning done, and to replace the faucet in the public’s bathroom. 2. Sabins alerted the Board that the Streetlight expense account will overdraft by about $400 by the end of the fiscal year. The budget committee will need to be asked to come to a Board meeting to approve the transfer of funds from some other account to cover the overdraft. 3. J. Melrose stated that he has met with the Vassalboro Conservation Commission (VCC) and that they do not want the proposed revitalized Trail Committee to be a sub-committee of their Commission. Most of the VCC members are weary of trail work and would prefer not to be involved in that work any longer. Melrose stated that a new stand-alone Trail Committee could be appointed with all new members. He requested the topic be placed on a future agenda. 4. J. Melrose stated that he has spoken with MDOT Representative Doug Coombs regarding the parking and entrance to the Historical Society parking lot and the Memorial Park. Mr. Coombs indicated to J. Melrose that when MDOT renovates Rt. #32 in the next few years, it is likely there will be curbing but no sidewalk along the edge of Rt. #32 in the area of Memorial Park.

10. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:55 p.m.

/mss

These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 6/13/19 with the following amendments:

Section 4 of the #9 Other category above was corrected by John Melrose to say: J. Melrose stated that he has spoken with MDOT Representative Doug Coombs Dave Bernhardt regarding the parking and entrance to the Historical Society parking lot and the Memorial Park. Mr. Coombs Bernhardt indicated to J. Melrose that when MDOT renovates Rt. #32 in the next few years, it is likely there will be curbing but no sidewalk that curbing would be preferable along the edge of Rt. #32. in the area of Memorial Park.