Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
March 30, 2011
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, and Steve Knox
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 6:30 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 3/17/11 meeting with the following amendments: In section 3D, Selectman Haines noted that the last sentence should have read as follows: “After discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to move forward with the ordinance as amended and hold a public hearing.” The words “as amended” were added.
3. New Business – a. Mowing bid – It was noted that seven bids were received, plus one late bid that was not opened. The Board reviewed the summary and the copies of the bids received. Selectman Browne stated that he would prefer to award the bid to one contractor for all of the mowing work. Discussion was given about the mowing equipment needed to perform the job well. After discussion and on a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to accept the mowing bid of Steve Knox of Knox Yard Maintenance for $18,500.
4. Reports – a. Status Report – Sabins provided an update on the Barnett legal case. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the status report. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the road report.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #55 and #56.
6. Other – 1. Sabins shared workshop brochures from MMA that she had received to determine if there was any interest among the Board members to attend the classes. No action was taken. 2. MMA’s request for nominees for the upcoming Executive Committee election was discussed. No action was taken. 3. A membership report from MMA Risk Pool was distributed and noted. 4. A CMP pole permit was signed by the Board. 5. The need to replace two window sashes with rotted wood in the conference room was discussed. Resident Doug Philips who works for Hammond Lumber has assisted with ordering replacement window sashes. 6. Brief discussion was given about possible changes that may need to be made to the Selectmen’s budget recommendations in the proposed 2011-12 budget in light of the fact that the proposed school budget is less than last year. A budget work session may be scheduled in the near future to make adjustments.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:04 p.m. The Board and Manager then drove to the Vassalboro Community School to join the Budget Committee meeting already in progress.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 4/14/11 with the following amendments: None.