Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
March 25, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Gene Field, Carl Creasy of CLC Lawn Care and unknown female accompanying Mr. Creasy.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 1:30 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 3/14/13 meeting as written.
3. Mowing bid – After discussion and review of the summary of bids received, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to award the combined mowing bid to Teague Adams of A. & H. Properties from Augusta for a price of $14,850.
4. Recreation Committee Appointment – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to appoint Adam Loiko to the Recreation Committee.
5. Budget discussion – In anticipation of the Budget Committee meeting scheduled for tomorrow night, the Selectmen considered whether they should ask the voters at town meeting to support an article to bond for a tanker fire truck. Much discussion was given and the Board reviewed a sample amortization schedule provided by The First Bank to borrow $280,000 for a three year loan at 2.08% and a five year loan at 2.45%. Bonding for the excavator needed by the public works department was also discussed, and the possibility of combining the two needs into one general obligation bond. L. Titus suggested the Board consider putting three articles before the voters as follows: One article not to exceed $280,000 for the fire truck, another article not to exceed $95,000 for an excavator, and the third article for $100,000 for capital improvement funding. The last article would be passed over if the first two articles were passed. The Board also discussed presenting a separate article for the fire department building repairs needed at the North Station. After lengthy review, the Board members agreed by consensus to proceed to the Budget Meeting tomorrow night with the plan laid out by L Titus. Sabins will call Fire Chief Eric Rowe and ask him to come to the meeting tomorrow night prepared with accurate figures for the model tanker truck that they need.
6. Reports – a. Status Report – No report was available. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
7. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #63 and #64.
8. Other – 1. The history of the Sanitary District formation and the election of members were discussed. 2. L. Titus inquired if a savings could be realized if the town public works department hauled the town’s trash to PERC, rather than contract out the service. All agreed an analysis would have to be conducted to answer the question.
9. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 2:53 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 4/11/13 with the following amendments: None.