Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
March 25, 2009
Members Present: Libby Mitchell, Lauchlin Titus, and Rob Browne
Others Present: Mary Sabins, David Jenney, George Gould, Mary Grow, and Paul Mitnik
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mitchell at 6:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 3/11/09 meeting as written.
3. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #55 and #56.
4. Reports – a. The Status Report was read and updates were given by Sabins on on-going issues. b. The Road Report was read and accepted unanimously on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne. c. The Financial Report was read by M. Sabins and unanimously accepted on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne.
5. New Business – Chairman Mitchell opted to take the agenda items out of order because Code Officer Paul Mitnik was waiting in the audience to discuss items further down on the agenda. b. Paul Mitnik updated the Board on the proposed updates to the Shoreland Zone Ordinance that will be presented at the June Town Meeting. He announced that the Planning Board will be having a public hearing on the proposed changes at their April 7th meeting. c. Paul also introduced a new proposed ordinance that he has drafted that will outline the process of who hears an appeal when one is needed and he reminded the Board that the Selectmen will need to conduct the public hearing on this proposed ordinance. Paul also updated the Board on a consent agreement that he is drafting between the Town and Greg O’Hallerin. d. Possible candidates for moderator for Town Meeting was discussed and several names were mentioned. After discussion, the Selectmen suggested that Sabins contact Richard Thompson to see if he is available. Mr. Thompson has moderated both China and Palermo’s Town Meetings. e. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Quit Claim Deed as presented for Douglas and Michelle Knowles. a. The subject of what type of Adult Entertainment Ordinance to propose for adoption in June was discussed. Chairman Mitchell asked for the Board members to clarify what we are trying to accomplish with the proposed ordinance. After discussion, the Board members agreed by consensus to ask the townspeople to come to a public discussion with the Board to share their ideas about what the ordinance should contain. Chairman Mitchell suggested that we could have several sample ordinances available at the meeting for the public to review, and then we can draft the new ordinance accordingly.
6.Other – a. Project Canopy – Sabins informed the Board that the Town Conservation Commission Members plan to submit a Project Canopy grant application for planting trees in Town. One of the selected locations is along the driveway to the Town Office. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to support the Conservation Commission’s Project Canopy grant application to plant trees in Town.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m. Immediately following the meeting, the Board commenced a scheduled meeting with the Town Budget Committee to review the proposed 2009-2010 budget.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 4/15/09 with the following amendments: None.