Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
March 14, 2013
Members Present: Lauchlin Titus and Phil Haines
Members Absent: Rob Browne
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Mary Grow
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Selectman Titus at 7:00 p.m. in the absence of Chairman Browne.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 3/1/13 and 3/7/13 meetings as written.
3. Quit Claim Deed – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to sign a Quit Claim Deed for Alex and Vicky Beckwith. The Board explained to reporter Mary Grow that the brother of the late Alex Beckwith paid the three years of delinquent taxes after he was located through an internet search by the tax collector. The location of Vicky Beckwith is unknown to the Town.
4. Reports – a. Status Report – Sabins reported that the Town Attorney Alton Stevens had notified her that the Court Judge has denied Jon Blumberg’s motion for relief from judgment. The Town was awarded restitution of attorney fees in the amount of $8,914.84, which Mr. Blumberg contested due to inability to pay. This amount was due 12/20/12, and Mr. Blumberg has been making $800 payments from time to time since December 17, 2012. The Attorney provided a list of four options for further legal action that the Board could choose from to collect on the debt owed. After discussion, the Board chose option one to ask the town attorney to obtain a Writ of Execution and file it at the Registry of Deeds against the property, and option two to continue accepting partial payments (with interest) from Jon Blumberg until the balance is paid in full. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Police Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #60 and #61.
6. Other – 1. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Land Purchase Installment Agreement for Belinda Lanphier to buy back her late father Clyde Cummings’ property that the town acquired through 2010 tax lien foreclosure this February 19, 2013. Belinda has inherited the property and now lives there with her husband. Belinda has agreed to make weekly payments to pay all three years of back taxes by the end of June 2013. Upon receipt of all taxes, the Town will issue a Quit Claim Deed to Belinda Lanphier. 2. Upon the request of David Bolduc, Maintenance Supervisor for the Buildings and Grounds for the Historical Society, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to waive the $50.00 building permit fee for the Historical Society. They plan to lift the 380 Main Street structure known as the Black Smith Shop to repair and stabilize it. 3. The Board agreed by consensus to make this year’s Spirit of America Award presentation at the school as well as at the town meeting. 4. Sabins stated that after the last Budget Committee meeting where the need to purchase a tanker fire truck was discussed, she called a couple of banks to get loan rates so that she could be prepared for further discussion if warranted. The Board gave their approval to pursue the idea further. Sabins plans to call the banks back for an amortization schedule to make it available for discussion at upcoming budget committee meetings. 5. Sabins informed the Board that the Town was served a Notice of Tort Claim today. The Plaintiff is Jesse Spaulding and the matter concerns the alleged well contamination from the closed town landfill. Sabins has informed the town’s liability insurance carrier.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:35 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 3/25/13 with the following amendments: None.