Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
March 7, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Bill Browne, Rick Denico, Jr., Doug Phillips, Susan Cover, Barry Bernier, David Jenney, James & Martha Wentworth, Roger Katz, Gene Field, Dick Phippen, John Melrose, Bill Whitley, Elizabeth Reuthe, Lori Fowle, and Dr. John Burke (7:12).
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 6:57 p.m.
2. Tax Abatement and bill of sale – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to sign a tax abatement for James Brown as an uncollectible tax, and a bill of sale for the tax acquired mobile home to David and Kathleen Mclean.
3. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrant #59.
4. Senator Roger Katz provided a legislative update and discussion was given concerning the State budget shortfalls, along with the Governor’s proposal to suspend the revenue sharing program for the next two years. House Representative Lori Fowle, who is also a member of the Vassalboro Budget Committee, shared details concerning the State’s unpaid debt to hospitals for Medicaid patients and the State’s effort to arrange payment. Budget Committee member Elizabeth Reuthe encouraged Senator Katz to consider increasing the State lodging tax to raise revenue. In her business travels, Ms. Reuthe has learned that Maine’s lodging tax is far lower than many other states. Selectman Haines encouraged Senator Katz to consider delaying the tax cut for the wealthy that is planned, so that the State can receive more revenue now when it is needed. Senator Katz thanked everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas and he said he would keep them in mind while working at the State House.
5. Budget discussion – The meeting was then turned over to the Budget Committee, who then elected Bill Whitley to serve as Chairman again this year. Bill then presided over the remainder of the meeting as the proposed town budget was reviewed with the Town Manager and the Board of Selectmen. Public Works Director Gene Field answered questions as well concerning the public works budget. Just prior to adjournment, brief discussion was given about the meeting dates and times for the Budget Committee; the group decided the proposed schedule of meetings that had been prepared by Sabins was satisfactory.
6. Adjourn - The budget overview ended at approximately 9:10 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 3/14/13 with the following amendments: None.