Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
June 30, 2014
Members Present: Lauchlin Titus, Phil Haines, and Rob Browne (3:07 p.m.)
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Dick Phippen, and Gene Field
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 3:05 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 6/19/14 meeting as written.
3. Public Works truck bids – PW Director Gene Field distributed a spreadsheet summary of the bids received. After careful consideration and research over the last week or so, Gene recommended that the Board award the bid for the cab and chassis to Daigle & Houghton for a Western Star for $114,606, with a trade-in offer of $28,000 on the old truck. He also recommended that the Board award the bid for the sander body and plow gear to HP Fairfield for $86,973. Gene also noted that the prices may vary slightly when placing the order for the truck by adding or deleting some optional items, and possible warranty changes. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept Gene’s recommendation, and to award the bids to Daigle & Houghton and HP Fairfield as outlined by Gene.
4. Other (taken out of order) – 1. Sabins distributed a revised spreadsheet of carry forward requests. Changes made from the first version signed on 6/19/14 include a reduction in the carry forward amount for the voting machine in the Administration budget from $6,000 to $5,000. Without this reduction, the Administration budget would overdraft due to the legal expenses (for TIF planning and Explosive Target Ordinance preparation) for the year that were incurred and not budgeted for. The other change was a reduction in the amount of carry forward for the Public Works Road Work account from $1,052 to $932, due to a last minute invoice for hay that needed to be charged to that account. After explanation of the changes made, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept and sign the amended list of carry forward items.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the warrant #68, the final accounts payable warrant of the 2013-14 fiscal year.
6. Other – 1. Sabins informed the Board that changes will need to be made at the July Board meeting to the Registrar of Voters’ and Town Clerk’s job descriptions. Town Clerk Cathy Coyne has indicated a preference to take on the duties of the Registrar of Voters once Jim Schad retires and leaves the office this fall. Sabins plans to revise the job descriptions and advertise the upcoming vacancy as a Counter Clerk who will be a deputy to the Clerk, Tax Collector, and Treasurer. The Board expressed support for this proposed change. 2. Chairman Haines asked if either the Board members or Sabins desired to conduct a job performance evaluation on the Town Manager. All parties agreed that a performance evaluation will be done next spring, prior to her contract renewal.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 3:30 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 7/17/14 with the following amendments: None.