Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
June 28, 2013
Members Present: Lauchlin Titus, Phil Haines and Rob Browne (9:07 a.m.)
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Greenwood Emergency Vehicles Sales Manager Chris Champagne; Fire Chief Eric Rowe, Tom Richards, Benji Rowe, and Mike Vashon.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 9:00 a.m. While waiting for Selectman Browne to arrive, the Board took the agenda items out of order to save the fire truck bid award discussion until he arrived.
2. Abatements – After brief explanation by M. Sabins, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to sign the tax abatements on real estate accounts #487 and #2357 due to errors made in the lot numbers for these parcels resulting in an illegal assessment. A supplemental tax for the last three tax years on these accounts will be issued for the same tax amounts, but with corrected lot numbers.
3. Treasurer’s Warrant – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrant #83.
4. Appointment – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to appoint Don Robbins to an alternate position on the Planning Board for a two year term.
Selectman Rob Browne arrived at this time.
5. Verbal Judo Workshop – Town Clerk Cathy St. Pierre requested that the Selectmen consider closing the office on Wednesday, December 4th to allow the entire office staff to attend a workshop at the Maine Municipal Association entitled Verbal Judo to provide skills for dealing with difficult people. After brief discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to close the town office on Wednesday, December 4th and to authorize the office staff to attend the Verbal Judo workshop.
6. Fire truck bid – Fire Department Lieutenant Mike Vashon distributed a spreadsheet summary of the four fire truck bids received. Vashon explained that the truck committee has reviewed the results of the bids for the last two days since the bids were opened. The fire truck committee recommends that the bid be awarded to Greenwood Emergency Vehicles for the price of $266,065.00. Vashon explained the pros and cons of each bid, and stated that the fire department has purchased two trucks from this company and they were very happy with the final product. After discussion, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to award the truck bid to Greenwood Emergency Vehicles for a 2014 International model 7400 for a purchase price of $266,065.00.
7. Other – 1. Sabins reminded the Board that she would need some signatures on payroll and accounts payable warrants on Monday, July 1st. 2. Selectman Browne signed a grave digger permit that was omitted at the June 20th meeting. 3. A quick review of business accomplished earlier in the meeting prior to Selectman Browne’s arrival was given to Rob.
8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:32 a.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on July 18, 2013 with the following amendments: None.