Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
June 21, 2011
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, H.P. Fairfield Representative Roger Rocque, George Gould, David Jenney, and Gene Field (7:15).
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 6/9/11 meeting as written.
3. New Business – a. Award Plow Truck bids – Action on this agenda item was postponed pending Gene’s arrival at the meeting to make his recommendation for the bid award. b. Energy grant bid award – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the Energy Committee’s recommendation and to award the energy bids to Frank Axtel for Electrician Services to perform specified energy efficient lighting improvements in town buildings for an estimated cost of $9,560; and to Houle’s Plumbing and Heating for the following systems at the following locations for the amounts indicated:
1. Public Works Garage - System 2000 boiler, model EK-2, cold start, high eff.; to replace existing boiler – use existing piping. One Thermo-cycler, TCW400 with 302 MBTU hot water heating coil, eff. 87%. Twenty gallon electric water heater - $25,400
2. No. Vassalboro Fire Station – Install outdoor reset to existing boiler - $1,500
3. Riverside Fire Station – System 2000 EK-2 Hybrid, cold start steel boiler. Indirect fired water heater - $9,765
c. Annual appointments – General discussion was given as to the process of whose responsibility it is to appoint whom into office. Resident David Jenney inquired about the Conservation Commission Members terms up for renewal and reiterated that the incumbents desired to be reappointed. Chairman Haines read the prepared list of Selectmen’s and Manager’s appointments being recommended tonight that included all incumbents with the exception of the Recreation Director and Recreation Committee Members, of which no recommendations for appointments were yet made for those positions. Selectman Rob Browne made the recommendation that the following list of nominees be considered to fill the member positions on the Recreation Committee: Kristofer Target, Ryan Redman, Pete Howard, Lance Cloutier, Tina Wood, Paul Pooler, and Ed Wasilewski. A motion was then made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, to approve the proposed list of Selectmen’s appointments as prepared by M. Sabins, plus Rob’s list of nominees for the Recreation Committee. The vote was unanimous to approve the motion. Another motion was made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, and unanimously voted by the Board to approve the proposed list of the Town Manager’s appointments, plus the addition of Nicole Wasilewski as the Recreation Director. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the proposed Tax Collector, Treasurer, and Town Clerk’s appointments for their deputies. a. Plow truck bids (revisited) – Public Works Director Gene Field distributed a summary of the bids received and made his recommendation that the truck bid be awarded to O’Connor GMC in Augusta for $116,987.02, plus the extended warranty package for $3,600, for a total price of $120,587.02. Gene also recommended that the Board award the body and plow equipment bid to H.P. Fairfield in the amount of $64,714, plus an option to purchase their offer for a wet system (liquid calcium applicator) at their offered price of $1,850 if we decide to try a salt priority program this winter. The total price for the equipped truck would be $187,151.02. After discussion about the other bids received and Gene’s explanation that the bids did not meet the bid specifications, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept Gene’s recommendation of awarding the truck bid to O’Connor GMC in the amount of $120,587.02 and H.P. Fairfield’s equipment bid price of $64,714.00, plus an option to purchase the $1,850 wet system if Gene desires. d. Disbursement policy renewal – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to renew the annual Policy on Treasurer’s Disbursement Warrants for Disbursement of State Fees. This policy allows any one of the Municipal Officers acting alone to review, approve, and sign a treasurer’s warrant for disbursement of state fees. e. Assessing contract renewal – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, and voted unanimously by the Board, the Board renewed the contract for assessing services with RJD Appraisals for the fiscal year 2011-2012 for $25,200. f. Quit claim deed - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to sign a quit claim deed to Michael Morin to release old tax liens from 1934 and 1954 that were never discharged. The release will clear the property title to Mr. Morin so that he can sell a portion of his property near Spectacle Pond to the State of Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IFW). This action was taken tonight at the request of the legal staff of IFW. g. Carry forward – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve and sign the list of carry forward requests of specific unexpended balances in the current fiscal year into the next fiscal year as presented by M. Sabins.
4. Reports – a. Status Report – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Status Report as presented. b. Road Report – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Road Report as presented. c. Financial Report – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the Financial Report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #72 and #73.
6. Other – 1. The Selectmen agreed to hold a quick meeting on Thursday, August 4th at 9:00 a.m. to set the tax mil rate. 2. Sabins informed the Board that the photos taken during the Spirit of America Award presentation at town meeting did not come out well and will need to be retaken by reenactment at an upcoming Selectmen’s meeting. 3. Sabins read a notice from Time Warner Cable that our Franchise Agreement with them is up for renewal in March of 2014. Discussion was given about gathering input from the public through the Town Line newspaper to determine the public’s satisfaction with the present cable service. This information may be valuable during contract renewal negotiations. 4. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to close the Town Office at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 30th to allow the staff time to perform the fiscal year closure functions. 5. L. Titus stated that he plans to attend the Elected Officials Workshop on Thursday, July 7th at the Maine Municipal Association. 6. Sabins distributed copies of her job self-evaluation as requested by the Board at a previous executive session. Discussion ensued, but no official action was taken. Selectman Titus will construct a written performance evaluation soon for inclusion in Sabins’ personnel file.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:24 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 7/21/11 with the following amendments: None.