Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Special Selectmen’s Meeting
Minutes of the Meeting
July 8, 2010
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, David Jenney, Lance Cloutier, Matt Evans, Esq., Dan Feeney, Jennifer Champagne, and Dick Phippen.
- Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 3:00 p.m.
- New Business – a. Discuss request from Lance Cloutier to extend tax sale finalization deadline – Chairman Titus stated that he had received a call from Mr. Cloutier requesting an extension on the finalization of the sale of the tax acquired property because his title attorney Matt Evans has found a possible title problem on the property that he needs more time to deal with. The original deadline was set for today, July 8th. Attorney Matt Evans stated that in his title search on the Chenette property that Lance had won the bid at the recent tax sale, Matt found two Writs of Execution (liens) on the property. Sears Roebuck, the plaintiff on one of the Writs of Execution, has not yet been notified of the foreclosure action. The Writ was placed against a former owner (not Richard & Joyce Chenette) of the property back in 1992, and the existence of the eighteen-year-old Writ was only discovered during the title search, the extent of which research is not required nor done during the tax lien and tax lien foreclosure processes. After contacting the law firm of Goldberg & Goldberg who recorded the Writ in 1992 on behalf of Sears Roebuck, Attorney Evans has learned that Sears is still interested in pursuing collection of the Writ with the original value of approximately $4,500, now with a value of approximately $24,000 after 15% interest has accrued all these years. Attorney Evans has requested that Sears settle the Writ for a reduced amount, but Sears or their representatives have not yet returned his calls. Matt suggests that a possible remedy would be for the town to send the foreclosure notice to Sears and give them the required 30 days to pay the outstanding 2007 taxes to preserve their interest in the parcel. If Sears fails to pay the taxes within the 30 day period, the foreclosure can be official and Mr. Cloutier will complete the tax sale. After discussion, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to extend the deadline to finalize the sale of the tax acquired property to Lance Cloutier, and to extend the time to such time as necessary for the town to notify Sears of the tax lien, and to wait the necessary time period for Sears to respond, and for Sabins to notify the other bidders on this tax acquired property of the process to allow them to withdraw from the process if desired. Deposit checks from the other bidders will be returned if they would like to withdraw from the process, or we can continue to hold their checks if they desire to wait in line.
- Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #2 and #3.
- Other – David Jenney inquired what the Board intended to do about the Planning Board vacancy that occurred when recent appointee Penny Plourde was unable to take the oath of office. He inquired if the Board would be appointing Virginia Brackett at this meeting to fill the vacancy so she could participate in the July 13th planning board meeting. Chairman Titus explained that Ms. Brackett intends to attend the Selectmen’s meeting on July 22nd, and the Selectmen had some matters regarding desired changes and improvements on the Planning Board that they wished to discuss with Ms. Brackett before an appointment is made.
- Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 3:37 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 7/22/10 with the following amendments: None.