Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
January 31, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Matt Weaver, abatement applicant, and Curt Dugal.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 1/17/13 meeting as written.
3. Matthew Weaver of First Advisors was in attendance at the meeting to provide a status report on the town’s investment portfolio. The first order of business was to review and accept the Town’s Investment Policy. Matt confirmed that the present investment portfolio meets the criteria of the policy and that Matt saw no need for amendments to the policy. The Selectmen agreed with Matt’s analysis and none of the Board members made recommendations for amendments to the policy. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to renew the Investment Policy as written. Matt distributed copies of the Account Review Summary for 2012 activity and explained the successes for each type of investment. Overall, the investment account returned +6.87% YTD, +6.08% net of fee. The Board expressed satisfaction with the work of the investment firm and encouraged Matt to keep up the good work.
4. Public Hearing on the progress of the CDBG Grant project at DP Industries – Chairman Browne declared the hearing open at 7:15 p.m. DP Industries co-owner Curt Dugal provided an update to the Board, the Town Manager, and the two members of the public in the audience. Curt stated that the addition to the building and the boiler has been installed. Three of the five new employees have already been hired. Curt indicated that as many as ten new employees may be hired as a result of the project when it is fully operational. He estimates the project to be about 75% complete at this point. There were no questions from the audience, but the Selectmen and the Town Manager did have a brief question and answer session with Mr. Dugal. The public hearing was closed at 7:20 p.m.
5. Public Hearing on an Automobile Hobbyist Permit for Bob Dore – Chairman Browne declared the public hearing open at 7:21 p.m. There being no public comment, and no opposition from the Board members, the public hearing was immediately closed after opening. A motion was then made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, and voted unanimously by the Board to approve the Hobbyist Permit as prepared by Code Officer Dan Feeney.
6. Reports – a. Status Report – There was no email update from the Town Attorney on the Blumberg case, so no status report was available and therefore no action taken by the Board. b. Road Report – After reading in the Road Report about the numerous times that Truck #4 had broken down and required repairs, Selectman Haines commented that he wished we had replaced the truck last year. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
7. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #50, #51, and #52.
8. Other – 1. Representative Roger Katz has offered via email to come to speak with the Board of Selectmen to discuss issues facing the Legislature this session, particularly budget issues. The Board welcomed the invitation and asked Sabins to set up a meeting time.
9. Executive session – On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by P. Haines, the Board entered into an executive session at 7:45 p.m. pursuant to 36 MRSA Section 841 to discuss a request for an abatement. The Board returned to open session at 7:50 p.m. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to abate the 2010 taxes, interest, and fees on account #1153.
10. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:55 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 2/14/13 with the following amendments: None.