Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Jim Ashton, Mike Vashon, abatement applicant and companion, Rick Denico (7:10), and Paul Breton (7:23).
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 6:58 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 1/14/16 meeting as written.
3. Crowell Hill Road Cemetery - Jim Ashton, Chair of the Cemetery Committee stated that there is an extremely old unmarked cemetery on the Crowell Hill Road. The tombstones were removed from the site several years ago, but it is unknown by whom. The Cemetery Committee wants to mark the cemetery. A letter was sent to the current property owner who lives out of state, but Jim received no response. There is a “for sale” sign on the property. Mike Vashon, who was present at the meeting, stated that during his tenure as town manager, a “no trespassing” sign was posted on the property. After discussion, the Board suggested to Jim that he send another letter to the owner, this time certified mail, to see if permission to put up a sign on the burial ground to mark the cemetery can be obtained. If no response is received, the Board suggested a sign placed along the road in the town’s right of way may have to suffice.
4. Executive session (taken out of order) – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously at 7:14 p.m. to enter into an executive session pursuant to 36 MRSA, Section 841 to discuss an abatement application. The board returned to open session at 7:19 p.m. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to grant the abatement request and to abate the 2013 principle tax, plus all interest and costs for the 2013 taxes for applicant #16-01.
5. Other (taken out of agenda order) – 1. Capital Expenses Committee Chairman Rick Denico, Jr. provided a report on his committee’s updated spreadsheet of projected expenses for capital equipment. 2. Mike Vashon stated that he and other fire department members are doing research on specifications for a new fire truck that is estimated to cost $300K to purchase. The old truck that will be replaced is being evaluated mechanically. The fire department desires an article on this year’s town meeting warrant to raise funds for a new truck to be delivered in 2017-18 fiscal year. 3. Mike Vashon also expressed a desire to put an article on the warrant to give the voters a choice on the school surplus carry forward amounts. He doesn’t feel that a school surplus balance is necessary. 4. Paul Breton expressed an interest in serving on the School Committee to fill the unexpired term of Rick Denico, Sr. who passed away in December. News reporter Mary Grow, who was in the audience, stated that Susan Tuthill has already been appointed by the School Board Members to fill that vacancy. Sabins and the Selectmen provided information on the upcoming nomination paper process to run for election to the position this spring.
6. Town Report discussion – The format and dedication of the town report was briefly discussed. More discussion will be given at the next meeting when more information is available.
7. Transfer Station closure on Easter Sunday – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to close the Transfer Station on Sunday, March 27, 2016.
8. Reports – a. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Financial Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
9. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #45 and #46.
10. Other – 1. L. Titus noted that Librarian Dawn Thistle has resigned her position as the part-time Vassalboro Librarian to take a full time job as the Gardiner Librarian. Lauchlin noted that Dawn had provided excellent service to the town and she will be missed.
11. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:02 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 2/11/16 with the following amendments: None.