Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
January 7, 2010
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Mary Grow
- Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 7:03 p.m.
- Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 12/16/09 meeting as written.
- New Business – a. Appointment papers – The Board signed the Cemetery Committee appointment papers for Tom Richards. The actual appointment was made at the last Board meeting. b. Policy for payment of delinquent taxes – Sabins explained that with our new credit/debit card payment method offerings, a taxpayer has the ability to reverse a credit/debit card transaction up to 30 days after the transaction is completed. This could present a problem at tax lien and tax lien foreclosure time. After discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to adopt the following policy:
POLICY CONCERNING PAYMENT FOR OUTSTANDING PROPERTY TAXES
Effective January 7, 2010, the Town of Vassalboro will only accept cash, certified bank check, or postal money order as payment toward delinquent property taxes that are about to be liened or foreclosed upon. This will take effect once the 30-day notices in the tax lien process and the 30-45 day notices in the foreclosure process have been mailed to the taxpayer. No personal or third-party checks, or credit/debit card payments will be accepted for payment during this time on these delinquent property tax accounts. This policy will remain in effect until the lien process each year is completed and the tax liens are attached, and/or the automatic foreclosure deadline has passed.
- Reports – a. Status report – Sabins read the report and discussed each item. b. Road report – Discussion was given about the recent storm coverage and plow work. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted to accept the road report as presented. c. Police report – A motion was made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, and voted unanimously by the Board to accept the police report as presented.
- Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #44 and #45.
- Other – 1. L. Titus reminded the Board that the AOS Budget vote on Jan. 21st conflicts with the next Board meeting. The AOS meeting is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. at Winslow High School. After discussion, the Board agreed by consensus to still have the Selectmen’s meeting, but to move the start time to 7:30 p.m. The Selectmen will plan to attend the meeting in Winslow, and then come back to the Vassalboro Town Office for their regular meeting.
- Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:33 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 1/21/10 with the following amendments: None.