Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
February 25, 2016
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Dan Mayotte, and Justin Larrabee
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 6:57 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 2/11/16 meeting as written.
3. Proposed budget discussion – First Responder Chief Dan Mayotte was present to answer any questions about his budget, which is proposed for next year at the same amount as the current year at $12,275. General discussion was given about the expense for the drug Narcan that is used to counteract the effects of heroin on patients who are overdosing. The expense for this drug must come out of the budget as it is not reimbursable. The Board expressed no concerns about Dan’s proposed budget. Also, former cemetery mowing contractor Justin Larrabee was present at the meeting to negotiate a price for mowing cemeteries again this year. Sabins gave background information to the Board about unsuccessful negotiations she had already had with Justin. A three year contract at a price of $31,500; $32,500; and $33,500 was offered but refused by Justin stating he needed to be closer to the original price he asked of $39,000. All Board members were in agreement that they could not pay his asking price of $39,000 as it would be a $15K increase over the 2015 mowing contract price. The Board asked Justin to consider how he could reduce the scope of the mowing work, to reduce his price closer to our offering price. Justin agreed to think about it and report back.
The Board decided to take the agenda items out of order and to discuss the budget recommendations last.
4. Reports – a. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. First Responders’ Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #50 and #51.
6. Other – 1. The Town Report format was discussed again. The persons chosen at the last meeting to be honored with the dedication page of the town report have declined the offer. After discussion, the Board decided to omit the dedication in the book and to expand the “In Memoriam” section from two to three people to include another long-time resident who passed away last year. 2. The Board decided not to pursue the pay-per-bag program for trash disposal at this time. The Waste Zero representative who had agreed to make a presentation on the matter will be notified of the Board’s decision by Sabins.
7. Budget Recommendations - The Board reviewed the rest of the town budget and made their recommendations, department by department. Sabins will input the recommendations into the budget spreadsheets and make budget packets available for the Budget Committee review prior to their first meeting of the budget season on March 8th.
8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:25 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 3/10/16 with the following amendments: None.