Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
February 2, 2012
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, George Hamar & daughter Sierra, Rick Denico, Lionel Dubord, Tom O’Rourke, Gene Field, and abatement applicant.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 1/19/12 meeting as written.
3. Sale of tax acquired property – No bids were received for the property on Cushnoc Road. After brief discussion, the Board agreed to revisit this matter again in the spring months, and possibly hold another sale in April.
4. Swap shed program – Transfer Station Manager George Hamar provided an update to the Board about changes he has made to keep the swap shed program running. The program has been moved to a smaller building at the transfer station, now located near the compactor. This smaller building is the old recycling shed that has recently been replaced by the new larger recycling building. George plans to erect a sign that states what items are acceptable in the swap shed and what items are not. No clothing, sharp objects, or stuffed furniture will be permitted, and resident visits to “shop” in the shed will be limited to once per day while the transfer station is open. George is also working on arranging for a regular Good Will pick up for items not recycled out of the Swap Shed. The Board seemed satisfied with this proposal, and asked George to provide frequent updates as to the success of the program.
5. Personnel handbook revisions – Sabins explained that after using and implementing the new Personnel Handbook, it has been discovered that amendments were needed in the sick leave and holiday sections to clarify intent. Sabins distributed copies of a draft of proposed language changes. Some of the changes proposed included a provision that would eliminate accrual of leave time and holiday pay benefits for employees while on extended sick leave; and the following clarification for the holiday section was added: “If the New Year’s Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and Christmas holidays fall on a regular work day, no additional holiday pay will be paid out to the transfer station employee for that holiday during that pay period.” After discussion, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept and adopt the changes to the Personnel Handbook as presented by the Town Manager, effective immediately. The Board will sign the revised version of the Handbook at the next meeting.
6. Liquor license renewal for Natanis Golf Course – After brief explanation from Sabins that she had called the State Liquor Licensing Division and they had no problem with the Town renewing the liquor licenses for Natanis Golf Course, a motion was made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted to approve the liquor license renewal. Selectman Browne abstained from the vote on this matter as he is co-owner of Natanis Golf Course.
7. Alewife contract renewal – Sabins explained that the Town’s three year contract with alewife harvester Ronald Weeks expired at the end of the past season. After brief discussion, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to renew the contract with Ron Weeks for a three year term.
8. Reports – a. Status Report – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Police Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
9. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #37 and #39. State Plumbing Fee items on warrant #38 had been approved at the 1/19/12 meeting in warrant #36, but were later void on the original warrant by the bookkeeper after the payee requested a breakdown of the funds into separate checks. The bookkeeper reissued separate checks and created a separate warrant for those payments. The Board also signed warrant #38 to release the payments they had approved and authorized previously as a lump sum.
10. Other – 1. Sabins read a letter from MDOT announcing a future project being planned in Augusta that might affect traffic flows through Vassalboro. 2. Chairman Haines addressed the matter of some paperwork that Rick Denico had left with the Board as the meeting opened. Mr. Denico did not stay for the meeting. Mr. Denico has received a written legal opinion that the funds written off by the school board as owed from the town, should be given to the school. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to take no action on Rick Denico’s request presented tonight, in concurrence with the School Board’s action.
11. Executive session – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously at 7:50 p.m. to enter into an executive session pursuant to 36 MRSA, Section 841 to discuss an abatement request. The Board returned to open session at 8:05 pm. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to abate all taxes, interest, and costs for account #2780 for tax years 2009, 2010, and 2011.
12. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 2/16/12 with the following amendments: None.