Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
February 17, 2011
Members Present: Lauchlin Titus and Phil Haines
Members absent: Rob Browne
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Matt Weaver, David Jenney, Mary Grow, and an abatement applicant.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 2/3/11 meeting as written.
3. New Business – a.) Surplus fund investment – First Advisors Representative Matt Weaver provided an introduction to his investment firm and the services they have provided to municipalities in Maine. Handouts were distributed showing the accounting that is available for each fund type so credit can be given to the proper fund for the interest earned. A question and answer session ensued, and audience member David Jenney participated in the discussion about the types of investments that should be pursued. The Board members agreed that they would like to begin the investment process by creating and adopting an investment policy using the sample received from the Town of Lincolnville, to provide guidance to an investment firm and future Boards of Selectmen. Sabins will provide drafts of such a policy at the next meeting for discussion, and will keep Matt advised of our progress.
4. Reports – a. Status report – Sabins provided an update on each of the three items on the status report and her recent discussion with the town attorney about each one. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b.) Road report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c.) Financial report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #47 and #48.
6. Other – 1. Sabins asked the Board members if there was any interest in proposing changes to the Animal Control Ordinance at this year’s annual town meeting. The Town Animal Control Officer Howard Morang has found an ordinance in the Town of Hollis that has incremental increased late fees for late dog registrations that he would like implemented in this town as an incentive to license dogs on time. The Board stated they would be willing to discuss possible changes. Sabins will bring a draft to a future meeting. 2. L. Titus stated he had been giving some thought to the dedication of the town report as requested at the last meeting. He suggested dedicating the book to all volunteers in town.
7. Executive session – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously at 8:00 p.m., and pursuant to 36 MRSA Section 841 (2), to enter into an executive session to deliberate over an abatement. The Board returned to open session at 8:10 p.m. and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to deny the applicant’s request for an abatement of property taxes.
8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:17 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on _____________ with the following amendments: