Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
February 16, 2012
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Jean Poulin, Ellery Bane, Rob Duplisea, Nikki Wasilewski & daughters, Auditor Christian Smith, Rick Denico, Jr., Bob Williams, Mike Vashon, Benji Rowe, and an abatement applicant.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 6:56 p.m.
2. The Board members decided to take the agenda out of order, since the abatement applicant was at the meeting early. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted at 6:56 p.m. to enter into an executive session pursuant to 36 MRSA, Section 841 to discuss an abatement request. The Board returned to open session at 7:05 p.m. and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to abate all tax, interest, and costs for tax year 2009 on real estate account #1153.
3. Minutes – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 2/2/12 meeting as written.
4. CPA Christian Smith discussed the 6/30/11 audit results with the Board. He explained that the town was in good fiscal shape with $1,160,399 in the undesignated fund (surplus). Christian also reviewed his accompanying Management Letter and reiterated his recommendations in the letter for changes in the recreation department finances, creation of a Perpetual Care Policy, and the creation of a Fund Balance Policy. His other recommendation for the adoption of a personnel policy has already been completed recently.
5. RJD Appraisal owner Rob Duplisea explained his budget proposal to reinstate the quarterly review program. Rob feels it is time to start the program again to keep property values in line and to stay on top of any changes that have occurred without building permits. Rob stated that the property values found will outweigh the costs for the program. Digital photographs of the properties in town would be included in the program without extra charge. The Selectmen asked questions of Rob, but made no commitment at this time to fund the program. Assessor Ellery Bane then answered several assessing questions posed to him earlier in the week via email by Selectman Titus.
6. Fire Department – Chief Eric Rowe was unable to attend the meeting as he was called out of town on work-related matters. Lieutenant Mike Vashon explained that the fire trucks are required to be service tested and this year’s test revealed that $4,000 in repairs were needed to the fire trucks to pass the test. The newest truck recently donated to the department needs an additional $5,000 in repairs. When the department members prepared their 2012-13 budget request they did not realize their trucks needed these repairs. The Department is requesting to increase their 2012-13 budget requests by $10,000 for truck repairs. Lieutenant Vashon also requested that the Board consider adding a reserve amount to the budget to begin building a fund to replace the tanker truck, which will need replacement in 2014. The department was recently denied a Homeland Security grant application for a tanker truck.
7. Personnel Handbook – The Board signed the cover of the revised version of the Personnel Handbook that was adopted at the last Board meeting.
8. Reports – a. Status Report – No action taken. b. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
9. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #41 and #42.
10. Other – 1. L. Titus commented on the need to adopt a Fund Balance and a Perpetual Care policy as outlined by the Auditor in his Management Letter discussed tonight. Sabins stated she had made notes on those items as well and planned to research them in the near future.
11. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 2/29/12 with the following amendments: None.