Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
February 14, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Susan Cover, Gene Field, and George Hamar
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 9:00 a.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 1/31/13 meeting as written.
3. Transfer Station improvements – Transfer Station Manager George Hamar distributed photos of the existing deteriorating retaining walls at the back of the transfer station where the large waste containers are situated. He referred to the photographs as he described how the leaning railroad ties would be replaced with interlocking cement blocks stacked eight feet high at a distance of approximately 120 feet long, with cement pads on the ground upon which to re-establish the three roll-off containers. Public Works Director Gene Field supported the idea of using cement blocks, stating that cement walls would likely need to be engineered for installation at a public facility and cement blocks do not. Gene plans to utilize his staff and rent an excavator to complete this project. George estimates the work to be done will cost about $10,000, which he would like the Board’s approval to take from his facility maintenance line in his current budget. The available funds are leftover from the transfer station paving project last fall that came in under budget. After discussion, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to authorize the Transfer Station Manager and the Public Works Department to proceed with the plan as outlined.
4. MDOT Overweight permits – The Maine Department of Transportation (MDOT) has sent two requests for overweight permits for two separate projects they are planning on Rt. #3 and Rt. #201. The permits would be issued for their contractors who may use town roads to transport equipment and supplies during the projects. PW Director Gene Field stated that he has no problem with the Board issuing the requested permit, as he does not believe much use of the town roads will be needed. He will monitor the projects to determine if damage to town roads is occurring. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the overweight permits for the MDOT projects. Other brief discussion was given with Gene concerning the fabrication work that our own public works staff members are able to accomplish with the many skills and abilities they possess. The Selectmen appreciate this effort.
5. Vassalboro Business Association (VBA) request – VBA President Linda Titus was unable to attend the meeting due to the meeting time change, but Selectman Lauchlin Titus spoke on behalf of his wife. The VBA desires to put American flags and brackets on (up to) 100 telephone poles along Rt. #32 and the VBA seeks support for the project from the Selectmen. The Town would be required to enter into a written agreement with Central Maine Power as well as Fairpoint Communications before the flag and bracket installation can occur. There is no cost for the agreement; the flags and brackets will be paid for by the VBA through fundraising and donation. The VBA hopes for help with installation from the Vassalboro Fire Department. The Board of Selectmen verbally consented to endorse this project without taking a formal vote.
6. Natanis Golf Course liquor license renewal – Chairman Browne recused himself from the discussion and vote on this agenda item, since he is a co-owner of Natanis Golf Course. Sabins explained that she made the annual call to Craig McCabe at the State Department of Alcohol and Firearms to see if there was any reason that the liquor license should not be renewed. Mr. McCabe stated there was no problem with license renewal and he gave his approval. With little discussion and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted 2 in favor, 1 abstention (Browne) to approve the Natanis liquor license renewal.
7. Distribution of the FY13-14 proposed budget – Sabins distributed proposed budget packets and gave a brief explanation of what each packet contained. The budget workshop scheduled for Thursday, February 21st at 9:00 a.m. was rescheduled to Friday, February 22nd at 9:00 a.m. due to a scheduling conflict for Selectman Titus.
8. Reports – a. Status Report – No updated information on the Blumberg case has been received from the Town Attorney. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Police Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
9. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #54 and #55.
10. Other – 1. Sabins gave the Board a brief update on the list of fifteen or so 2010 tax accounts that remain unpaid now just days before foreclosure date. A new update will be provided at the next meeting after foreclosure. 2. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to authorize Sabins to sign on behalf of the Board, the Statement of Agreement and Understanding prepared by Delta Ambulance concerning services they provide to the residents of the Town of Vassalboro at no charge to the Town.
11. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:35 a.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 3/1/13 with the following amendments: None.