Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
December 18, 2014
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Alan Dorval, Dick Phippen, Bill Browne, Gene Field, Don Breton, Mike Vashon, Doug Phillips, John Melrose, Mary Grow (7:04), Peggy Schaffer (7:06), Matt Masse (7:10), Rick Denico, Jr. (7:30), and Kevin Reed (7:50).
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 7:03 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 12/4/14 meeting as written.
3. Capital Expenses Committee – Committee Member Alan Dorval gave a power point presentation including graphs and charts depicting a Capital Improvement Plan proposal. Alan stated he had found a model plan on the internet created by Chesterfield, NH that he felt was well thought out and would work well for Vassalboro. So he transferred Vassalboro numbers into the model plan, and described to the Selectmen and Budget Committee Members present how planning and budgeting ahead for capital expenditures would prevent spikes in the mil rate when capital purchases need to be acquired. An in-depth explanation and discussion was given, with the Budget Committee members expressing an interest in pursuing the plan further. Alan stated that he and his fellow Committee Members would proceed with updating the capital expense figures from their work plan last year with the help from the town manager and department heads, and will present a Capital Improvement Plan for future expenses to be used as a tool for planning purposes by both the Selectmen and the Budget Committee.
4. Reports – a. Road Report - On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Financial Report - On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
5. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #39 and #40.
6. Other – 1. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to appoint Catherine Coyne as the Registrar of Voters. This appointment is for two years as required by State law, ending December 31, 2016. 2. On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to renew the annual Policy on Treasurer’s Disbursement Warrants for Education Related Expenses. 3. Sabins stated that the town office building will be used by the Sanitary District Trustees on January 19th for a public hearing on joining the Kennebec Sanitary Treatment District. After consulting their calendars, the Selectmen discovered that January 19th is the Martin Luther King holiday. Sabins will call the Trustees to determine if they will still plan to conduct the meeting.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 1/15/15 with the following amendments: None.