Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
December 5, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Mary Grow
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 7:03 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 11/7/13 meeting as written.
3. TIF district discussion – Chairman Titus explained that he and Sabins had recently attended two meetings to learn about Tax Incremental Finance (TIF) Agreements. One of the meetings was held in Chelsea and the guest speaker was a representative named Laura Santini-Smith (a/k/a Smitty) of the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) who processes all TIF applications for State approval. TIF Agreements are designed to shelter increased value the town will experience when new business develops in town like the new gas pipeline recently installed on Rt. #201. When a town’s state valuation goes up, the town will receive less Education Subsidy reimbursement and Municipal Revenue Sharing, and the County taxes will increase. Smitty explained during that meeting that all TIF agreements are different and written to accomplish different funding goals, which may or may not benefit the business developer. The new tax revenue the town receives can be set aside for projects such as a new sewer line for example. After discussion, the Board members expressed interest in learning more and pursuing this issue as aggressively as feasible at this point.
4. Audit – The Board reviewed the completed audit for Fiscal Year ended 6/30/13 and decided not to ask the auditor to make a formal presentation at a future meeting.
5. Abatement request – After discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to deny the abatement request made by Ronald Patterson, based on the recommendation of the town assessor.
6. Reports – a. Status Report – No report provided. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Police Report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
7. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #30 and #31.
8. Other – 1. Sabins explained that the town office kitchen stove is now out of order due to a faulty pilot valve (the pilot won’t stay lit) resulting in a gas leak into the air. Repair estimates are $350 and Fortin’s Appliance recommends replacement of the stove, rather than repair. For now, no action will be taken, with possible replacement at a later time as the budget allows. 2. Sabins announced the MRC meeting on Wednesday, December 11th at the Cross Insurance Building in Bangor to discuss solid waste disposal options at PERC after the contract ends in 2018. Chairman Titus and Sabins will plan to attend the meeting. 3. Sabins informed the Board that the building custodian will have surgery soon and temporary cleaning help will be sought. Selectman Haines offered contact information for the custodian at the Friends Meeting House. 4. A request for vacation time buyout was received and approved by the Selectmen. 5. The use of the conference room for the Building Bones exercise program for seniors was approved by the Selectmen. The start date is yet to be determined. 6. Chairman Titus suggested we invite Fire Chief Eric Rowe to attend the next meeting to discuss funding for gear and training for new firefighter volunteers in the next budget cycle. L. Titus has spoken with residents in the past who have offered to join the department but were told no funding was available to outfit and train them.
9. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 12/19/13 with the following amendments: None.