Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
December 3, 2008
Members Present: Libby Mitchell, Lauchlin Titus, and Rob Browne
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Mary Grow
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mitchell at 7:02 p.m.
2. Minutes – In section 5g, L. Titus requested that the November 19, 2008 minutes be amended to reflect that he had received a few phone calls from the same person. He requested that the words “from the same person” be added to the record. A motion was then made to accept the minutes as amended, which was seconded by R. Browne, and voted unanimously by the Board.
3. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #32, #33 and #34.
4. Reports – 1. Each item on the Status Report was read. Discussion was given about the samples of sign regulations that Sabins had collected from other towns as previously requested by the Board. L. Mitchell requested that Sabins continue the research to determine what regulations the Town of Vassalboro has in place now, and make a recommendation as to proposed changes. 2. The Road Report was read and accepted on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne and voted unanimously by the Board. 3. The Police Report was read and accepted unanimously by the Board on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne. Discussion was also briefly given about a report of a man living in a tent on Riverside Drive. L. Mitchell requested that the Police Chief be made aware of it. 4. The General Assistance Report was read and accepted unanimously by the Board on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne.
5. New Business – 1. Cemetery Committee – Sabins shared documents that she had located in old files concerning the work of the past Cemetery Committee and the approximate timeframe when the Committee disbanded in late 1986. Discussion was given about the current cemetery lots for sale and the records related to the lots that have been sold. The Board encouraged Sabins to call Kelly Karter who used to work in the town office in years past and also some past committee members who may have knowledge about the cemetery records to share. 2. AOS Referendum – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve and sign the following Order and Warrants for the Special Town Meeting and the Public Hearing concerning the formation of the AOS agreement:
Voted: That it be and is hereby Ordered that the Article set forth below be placed on the ballot of a Special Town Meeting of the Town of Vassalboro to be held on January 13, 2009; that the Warrant as presented to this meeting be approved; that the Notice of Public Hearing as presented to this meeting be approved and a public hearing be called for December 16, 2008 as provided therein; and that an attested copy of this Order be placed on file with the Town Clerk of the Town of Vassalboro:
Article 2: Do you favor approving the school administrative unit reorganization plan prepared by the Vassalboro, Waterville, and Winslow Reorganization Planning Committee to reorganize Vassalboro School Department, Waterville School Department and Winslow School Department into an Alternative Organizational Structure (AOS), with an effective date of July 1, 2009?
New Business (continued) – 3. Rescheduled Selectmen’s meetings – The Board agreed to change the dates of their January meetings to January 14th and 28th, so that the meetings will coincide with the Town accounts payable and payroll warrants.
6. Other – 1. R. Browne stated that because Christmas falls on a Thursday and the Transfer Station will be closed for the holiday, he felt the Transfer Station should be open on Friday, December 26th and that extra help should be obtained to assist the staff members. Sabins will confer with Transfer Station Manager Dave Proulx about this. 2. L. Titus stated that the Library Trustee recently sent out a nice fundraising letter.
7. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 12/17/08 with the following amendments: NONE.