Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
December 2, 2009
Members Present: Rob Browne and Phil Haines
Members Absent: Lauchlin Titus
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Kevin Reed and three boy scouts, Mary Grow, and George Gould.
- Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 7:00 p.m. The boy scouts and their leader were welcomed to the meeting. A question and answer session ensued both before and during the meeting to help educate the scouts in their pursuit to earn a merit badge as to the local government process.
- Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the 11/18/09 meeting as written.
- New business – none.
- Reports – a. Status report – Sabins reviewed each item on the report and provided updates for each. b. Police report – This item was added to the agenda, as the police report became available after agenda publication. The report was read aloud and unanimously accepted by the Board on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne. c. Road report – A copy of the road report was given to the scouts for their review. Brief discussion with the scouts on the contents of the report ensued. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the road report.
- Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #35 and #36. **
- Other – 1. P. Haines inquired how the safety works inspection went earlier in the week. Sabins reported that the inspector found a few areas in each department that need changes and he identified several written policies that were not in place. The inspector will produce a report of his findings in about three weeks. 2. Discussion with the scouts was given about annual town meetings versus special town meetings and the quorum requirement that Vassalboro has for a special town meeting. 3. George Gould stated he was concerned about the easement proposal discussed at the last meeting and he encouraged the Board to do more homework on the matter before committing the town to any long term arrangement.
- Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:33 p.m.
**These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 12/16/09 with the following amendments: Section 5 Treasurer’s Warrants should read - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #35 and #36.