Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
August 15, 2019

Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and John Melrose

Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, CEO Dick Dolby, Billy & Roxanne Pullen, Matt Streeter, Landis Hudson, Abatement applicant and helper, Mike Poulin, George Hamar (6:35), Nate Gray (6:40), Gene Field (6:42), and Matthew Young (6:45).

1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 6:30 p.m.

2. Minutes – On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 7/18/19 meeting as written. On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted two in favor with one abstention (L. Titus who was not in attendance at the meeting) to accept the minutes of the 8/14/19 Special Selectmen’s meeting with one correction. In section two, the word “certified” should have been “certify”.

3. Other (taken out of agenda order) – CEO Dick Dolby reported on two junkyard cases he has been working on.

4. Landis Hudson reported on a Land & Water Conservation Funding (LWCF) grant that she has been researching to help fund the Outlet Stream Dam fishway project and also may include the beautification project for the nearby Memorial Park. The LWCF grant may fund up to $300K of the project expenses, but because it is a Federal grant, the application process is extensive with a deadline of November 22nd. Landis stated that she would complete the application if she had assurance of support by the Selectmen, as the grant funds would have to flow through the town treasury, and the Selectmen would have to submit a statement in the grant application that includes a long term maintenance agreement for the project. After discussion and on a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to support the Alewife Restoration Initiative’s effort to apply for the LWCF grant as discussed and for Landis to work with the Town Manager for information to accomplish the grant application.

5. DEP Representative Matthew Young explained to the Board that he is conducting Per- and Poly-fluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) testing and he is seeking the Board’s approval to collect one water sample from the Transfer Station to compare the Transfer Station’s test results to the results from other residential water samples near the Transfer Station that he hopes to collect. Chairman Titus stated that because PFAS existence has been recently discovered, no one knows what level of PFAS is a dangerous level, and he is not in favor of sampling at the Transfer Station. If levels at nearby residences are high, then Matthew can sample the Transfer Station. Matthew stated that the DEP is willing to pay for the testing now, but the Town would have to pay later at a cost estimated at $300. Matthew also stated that if a problem is found at the nearby residences, the Town would be required to contribute to remediation. J. Melrose agreed with Chairman Titus’ plan to test the town well after the residences have been tested. Selectman R. Browne thinks the Town should consider being proactive and allow the testing now. After discussion, Matthew agreed he would come back to the Board with a report from residence testing and request a town sample again if needed.

6. Public Works Director Gene Field appeared at the meeting to provide an update on several items he has been working on. The first update was on the town grader repairs that are still underway but on track even though parts are becoming harder to find, with repairs still estimated at $20K. The second update was on the culvert work that is needed on the Cross Hill Road. Gene reported that he plans to submit an application for grant funding to assist with the needed culvert repairs and that a grant workshop will be held in another week or two to provide training on the grant application. Gene stated he has considered putting cement below the culvert opening to prevent water from going under the culvert. Lastly, the possibility of changing the location of the Transfer Station entrance was briefly discussed. Gene asked Transfer Station Manager George Hamar to share his thoughts on the proposed entrance changes. George said he appreciated the time and effort spent on contemplating and designing the entrance changes, but felt we need to continue to look at other options. George expressed concern about the driveway exit location as well as the traffic circulation pattern within the compound that has been proposed in latest drafts. Chairman Titus then appointed a discussion panel consisting of Selectman John Melrose, Town Manager Mary Sabins, PW Director Gene Field, Transfer Station Manager George Hamar, and other heavy transfer station users designated by George, to brainstorm ideas for entrance and traffic flow changes at the transfer station.

7. Capital Planning for Transfer Station – Transfer Station Manager George Hamar advised the Board that both the roto phase power supply and the trash compactor have been broken down and out of service recently, but are repaired and back in service now. Chairman Titus asked when do we quit fixing and consider replacement. Discussion was given as to the capital equipment that would need to be purchased and/or repaired to continue to offer the current level of services. It was suggested that we should obtain prices to replace what we have now (i.e.: new cement pad and new trash compactor, and wiring upgrades if necessary).

8. Reportsa. Road Report - On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Police Report and Transfer Station report – Discussion was given on the animal control call on the Pleasant Cove Road that was listed on the Police Chief’s report. Sabins gave an update on her search to replace the ACO who has resigned effective 8/31/19. On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept both the Police and Transfer Station reports as presented. c. Financial Report – The Board postponed taking action on the Treasurer’s report until the next meeting. The new fiscal year budget numbers have not yet been added to the budget spreadsheet since the tax commitment was signed the day before this meeting.

9. Treasurer’s Warrants – none.

10. Other1. Sabins informed the Board that tax bills will be mailed at the end of this week. 2. Chairman Titus stated the updated version of Vassalboro Welcomes You booklet has just been released by the Vassalboro Business Association who compiled it. 3. J. Melrose stated he has been in contact with members of the Central Maine Growth Council who are offering planning assistance to the Town for $100 per hour. The Board requested to have members of that group attend a Board meeting in September to explain the services they could provide. 4. Billy Pullen sought and received Board permission to post banners on the town office lawn to advertise the car show that will take place during Vassalboro Days on September 7th.

11. Executive session – On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to enter into an executive session pursuant to 36 MRSA Section 841. The Board returned to open session at 8:10 p.m. with no action taken.

12. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:12 p.m.

/mss

These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 9/5/19 with the following amendments: None.