Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
August 15, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Ken Young, Mike Duguay, Adam Loiko, Kevin Reed, and Rick Denico, Jr.
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 7/18/13 meeting as written.
3. Other (taken out of agenda order) – Mike Duguay, Director of Business Development for Summit Natural Gas of Maine presented a request to allow pipeline workers to conduct nighttime work to install the natural gas pipeline on Rt. #201. Progress on the project is slowed drastically each day when the workers are required to close the ground opening at the end of every work day and reopen it every new work day. If permission were granted to work nights, the pipeline installation project would progress much faster. After discussion, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to authorize Sabins to sign the Memorandum of Agreement between the Town and Summit Natural Gas of Maine that was presented by Mike Duguay to allow nighttime pipeline construction activities within the Town’s boundaries.
4. Other (taken out of agenda order) – Recreation Director Adam Loiko requested that the Board consider appointing Nikki Wasilewski to the Recreation Committee for one more year. Adam stated he needs her as a resource for help with administration of the recreation grant we received and other recreation business. He stated the committee doesn’t have an alternate member and he requested that the Board appoint Nikki to an alternate position. On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to appoint Nikki Wasilewski to a one year term as an alternate member of the Recreation Committee. Selectman Titus also asked Adam to think about planning for a 5K Run as an activity for next year’s Vassalboro Day celebration as a fundraiser. Adam was open to the idea and stated that it would be an activity that adults could participate in and enjoy as well.
5. Capital Expenses Committee – Rick Denico Jr. stated that he has been attempting to recruit members to serve on the Committee including Kevin Reed and Alan Dorval. Kevin Reed shared his educational and work experience background, and expressed an interest in serving on the Committee. Rick stated he will continue to seek volunteers to serve on the Committee and report back within another month.
6. Set 2013 mil rate for taxes – The Board reviewed proposed mil rate worksheets as prepared by the Assessor. After brief discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to set the 2013 tax mil rate at $11.20 per thousand.
7. Vassalboro Days Proclamation – Vassalboro Business Association President Linda Titus had earlier prepared a proclamation declaring the weekend after Labor Day each year as “Vassalboro Days” and requested that the Board adopt and sign the proclamation. Without discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to sign the proclamation.
8. Sylvia Michaud’s flag complaint – The Board reviewed the most recent letter from Sylvia Michaud concerning the American flag that is mounted to a utility pole at the end of her driveway and blocking her view of China Lake. She approves having the flags flown for holidays, but not continuously from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Selectman Titus stated that the Vassalboro Business Association has decided to take the flags down after July 4th next year due to the flag maintenance requirements they have experienced this year. Given that the Labor Day holiday is within a few weeks and the flags will be taken down the Sunday after Vassalboro Days in September, no action on removing the flag in front of Michaud’s will be taken at this time. On a motion made by R. Browne, seconded by P. Haines, the Board voted unanimously to let L. Titus and the Vassalboro Business Association deal with this issue as they see fit.
9. Town Office Computer system – After discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to waive the standards of the Procurement Policy and to allow Sabins to purchase the new town office computer system from Bob Penley an affiliate of the TRIO computer software company.
10. Reports – a. Status Report – No status updates were available, so no action was taken by the Board. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Police Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
11. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #9 and #10.
12. Other – 1. Sabins provided an update on the organizational progress being made with the Vassalboro Sanitary District Trustees. 2. R. Browne indicated he will not be in attendance at the September 12th meeting. 3. P. Haines announced he will not be in attendance at the October 10th meeting.
13. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 9/12/13 with the following amendments: None.