Members Present: Lauchlin Titus, Phil Haines, and Rob Browne (7:08 p.m.)
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Jim Hart, Jeff LaCasse, and Susan Cover
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Selectman Titus at 7:03 p.m. in the absence of Chairman Browne who was expected to arrive about 10 minutes late for the meeting due to another commitment.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 4/11/13 meeting as written.
3. Reports (taken out of agenda order)– a. Status Report – Sabins gave a brief update on her visit with the Town attorney this week to introduce him to the alleged contaminated well case on the Lombard Dam Road and to provide the background material for him to review to become familiar with the case. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
Chairman Browne arrived at this time and resumed his role as Chair of the meeting.
4. Jeff LaCasse and Jim Hart of the Kennebec Water District (KMD) explained to the Board that they are seeking support from the Board of Selectmen to request changes in the China Lake drawdown regimen from the Bureau of Environmental Protection (BEP) to reduce the level of phosphorus in the water, which will improve water quality. The requested change will start the winter drawdown in October rather than November, to a level 1.5 feet below the current winter level requirement. The men made references to a recent feasibility study done by Kleinschmidt in October 2012, who made recommendations for these changes. After discussion and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to support KMD’s endeavor to approach the BEP concerning a change in the China Lake drawdown regimen.
5. Town Meeting Warrant articles – A review of the proposed articles was given with a few minor changes made. The final version of the warrant will be signed at the next meeting on May 9th.
6. Summer meeting dates – After brief discussion, the Board set their summer meeting dates for July 18th and August 15th. The Board has had a long standing policy to conduct a regular Selectmen’s meeting only once during the months of July and August.
7. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #68 and #69.
8. Other – 1. At the request of the Manager, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by P. Haines, the Board signed a Quit Claim Deed to release Map 11, Lot 44 tax acquired property to Craig Conary after receipt of three years of back taxes by the 60th day post foreclosure. Sabins also provided an update on one other 2 acre undeveloped parcel of land on the Webber Pond Road that has been tax acquired and is now under review by the Conservation Commission. Disposal of this parcel will be discussed by the Selectmen at their May 23rd meeting.
9. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 5/22/13 with the following amendments: None.