Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
April 24, 2014
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, Dick Phippen, Brad Kelso, and Don Breton
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 7:02 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 4/10/14 meeting as written.
3. Brad Kelso explained to the Board that he has conducted research on the matter of licensing medical marijuana dispensaries. He would like to see the Town adopt an ordinance that would regulate where such facilities could be located in town. Brad stated he has been in contact with the Hampden City Planner who shared a copy of their regulations. The Board agreed that they are interested in investigating this idea, but that there was not time enough to get an ordinance prepared for presentation at this year’s annual town meeting in June. The Board suggested there may be time to present an ordinance for a vote at the November election. The Board asked Brad to provide the material he has collected to Sabins for her to review for further discussion.
4. TIF Development Plan – The Board reviewed the draft TIF Development Plan as prepared by TIF Attorney Shana Mueller. No changes were identified as needed and no action was taken.
5. Review of Town Meeting Warrant Articles – The Board reviewed the draft warrant articles and noted that Article 18 needed a correction of the year of the current public works vehicle. Also noted was that the recommendation of the Selectmen was not indicated on that article due to no formal vote taken by the board. On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to add “Selectmen recommend: Approval” to Article 18. It was noted that the Budget Committee has set another meeting date for Monday, May 5th at 6:30 p.m. to make their recommendations for the school budget articles. Brief discussion was given about the sidewalk grant article that was removed from the warrant after MMA Legal Staff gave their opinion that the article did not need to be voted a second time and that approval to implement the grant was received in the initial article that was approved by voters in 2011. No further changes or additions were made to the town meeting warrant by the Selectmen.
6. Summer meeting dates – After brief discussion, the Board agreed by consensus to set the dates of July 17th and August 14th as their summer meeting dates. For many years, the custom has been for the Board of Selectmen to only meet once during the months of July and August.
7. Reports – a. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. b. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
8. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #54 and #55.
9. Other – 1. The receipt of the email from the Recreation Director Adam Loiko stating he does not wish to be reappointed was noted. The Board members will consider options to replace him between now and the end of June when new appointments are made. 2. Sabins brought to the attention of the Selectmen that three employees have exceeded the 24 hours of personal time allotted this fiscal year. This personal time is primarily used for snow days in the winter when traveling is severe. The Board agreed by consensus to let it go and not require the employee to swap the overage from another leave time source. 3. Chairman Titus reported on the China Selectmen’s meeting that he attended Monday night to hear a presentation from Municipal Review Committee (MRC) Director Greg Lounder concerning trash disposal planning for MRC member towns who haul their trash to PERC in Orrington. The current MRC contract agreement with PERC expires in 2018.
10. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 5/8/14 with the following amendments: None.