Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
April 18, 2019

Members Present: Lauchlin Titus and John Melrose

Members Absent: Rob Browne

Others Present: Mary Sabins, Mary Grow, and Mark Brown

1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Titus at 6:30 p.m.

2. Minutes – John Melrose requested the following corrections and amendments to the 4/4/19 minutes:

5. Transfer Station layout – J. Melrose suggested appointing a working group to establish the parameters for a potential new transfer station entrance and layout. Melrose stated that he felt the town PW crew could do the work, as the proposed change in driveway location is no more complicated than the work the PW team accomplished at the Reynolds Road intersection. His main objective in making a change is public safety and to by avoiding vehicles backing up to tip their trash traffic backup. J. Melrose stated he would put the scope of work for the working group in writing. The Board agreed by consensus to form the working group, and Melrose stated he would work with Sabins to create an outline.

6. Sidewalks in the North Village area – Chairman Titus explained that this topic was addressed at a previous meeting, but no decision made at that time. Board wanted to revisit the topic again after time and consideration. At issue is the requirement of MDOT for the Town to maintain and clear sidewalks in all seasons, once the sidewalks are re-installed in the North Village area. Sidewalk winter maintenance has the potential to add to budget costs and is a concern. Melrose stated that while winter maintenance is required by written agreement, no one from MDOT monitors if sidewalks are plowed. Even though the State could plow the sidewalks and then bill the town for the work, it is never done. The Selectmen discussed with members of the audience the pros and cons of retaining sidewalks versus eliminating them. After discussion, and on a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted two in favor, and one abstention (R. Browne) to execute an agreement with MDOT to accept sidewalks in North Vassalboro during the Rt. #32 reconstruction project. The Town will cross the maintenance question bridge in the future, should it become an issue.

Then, on a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the 4/4/19 minutes as amended.

3. Other (taken out of agenda order) – Police Chief Mark Brown informed the Board that his son will be graduating from UMA next month with a degree in Criminal Justice, and he needs a sponsor to attend the Criminal Justice Academy to obtain is training in law enforcement. Mark stated he would like the Town of Vassalboro to provide that sponsorship for his son, just as the Town did for Mark when he was starting his law enforcement career in 1984. There are three stages to the sponsorship; the financial commitment for stages one and two total $250. Stage 3 requires sponsorship from a full time police department and will need to be sought elsewhere, as Vassalboro is not a full time police department. After brief discussion, and on a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve the request to sponsor Mark Brown’s son for stages one and two to attend the Criminal Justice Academy.

4. Town Meeting Warrant Articles – The Board reviewed the warrant articles and made a few minor edits. Sabins will make the adjustments and bring the final version back to the next meeting for signing.

5. Reports – a. Road Report - On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.

6. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by J. Melrose, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #59 and #60.

7. Other1. Selectman Melrose stated that he would like to have the Board reappoint the Trails Committee that has been defunct for several years and that he has been working on recruiting volunteers to serve. Chairman Titus stated he approves of the concept of reactivating that committee. 2. Possible removal of the fence behind the Historical Society Building was discussed. The Board asked Sabins to inquire of KWD Manager Roger Crouse if there is any objection to the town removing the fence as it is dilapidated. 3. The use of our TIF money was briefly discussed, as well as a brief inquiry if the Sanitary District has received any news on whether they qualified for grant money from the State for their current sewer project. The speculation was that news had been received, but the funding grant amount (about $300K) was much lower than hoped for. 4. Sabins was asked to put the topic of enhancement of Memorial Park on the next meeting agenda. 5. Sabins shared with the Board that in her capacity as MMA President, she and her fellow MMA Executive Committee Members had met and talked with Governor Janet Mills earlier in the day to discuss issues of concern to municipalities, including the need for continued Municipal Revenue Sharing funding.

8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.

/mss

These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 5/2/19 with the following amendments: None.