Vassalboro Board of Selectmen
Minutes of the Meeting
April 11, 2013
Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus (1:09 p.m.), and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Robin Thayer
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Browne at 1:05 p.m.
2. Minutes – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to accept the minutes of the 3/25/13 meeting as written.
3. Other (taken out of agenda order) – Resident Robin Thayer requested the use of the town property (driveway) at the food pantry location on Rt. #32 across from the Town Office for two days a week to park her concession stand to sell Italian Ice. She would like to donate 10% of the sales proceeds to the Vassalboro food pantry. After discussion, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to allow Robin Thayer, doing business as Robin’s Nest, to set up her concession stand and do business on town property. After the vote, Selectman Titus offered other possible locations in town where Robin could set up her stand, and also mentioned the Vassalboro Days Celebration in September. Robin will provide a copy of her liability insurance naming the town as additional named insured.
4. MMA Executive Committee – The Maine Municipal Association has begun the annual process to fill vacancies on their Executive Committee and has requested names of nominees for candidacy. After expressing interest in seeking a nomination to serve, and on a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to go on record to support the nomination of Town Manager Mary Sabins to serve on the MMA Executive Committee. L. Titus has agreed to write a letter of recommendation to accompany the required statement of interest form.
5. Reports – a. Status Report – Sabins provided a quick update on the alleged well contamination case on Lombard Dam Road. The Town’s insurance carrier will not be defending the town as we do not have coverage for pollution cases. The Selectmen discussed which attorney should be retained to defend the town, citing a need for one with experience handling these types of cases. L. Titus stated he knows of an attorney with Pierce Atwood Law Firm and will provide contact information to Sabins after the meeting. Sabins will ask the town attorney what experience he has with this type of litigation. b. Road Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. P. Haines noted this report is the first report in a long while that weekend work wasn’t necessary. L. Titus also mentioned that he can provide future needed training for G. Field to retain his pesticide spraying license. c. Financial Report - On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented. d. Police report – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to accept the report as presented.
6. Treasurer’s Warrants – On a motion made by P. Haines, seconded by L. Titus, the Board voted unanimously to approve warrants #66 and #67.
7. Other – 1. L. Titus expressed his concern regarding the dwindling number of active firefighters on our town department. He asked that discussion be given at a future meeting to see how the Selectmen can support and encourage the fire department officials to increase membership for the longevity of the department.
8. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 1:55 p.m.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 4/25/13 with the following amendments: None.