Members Present: Rob Browne, Lauchlin Titus, and Phil Haines
Others Present: Mary Sabins and Gene Field
1. Call to order – The meeting was called to order by Chairman Haines at 6:02 p.m.
2. Proposed budget review – The Board reviewed changes and reductions that Public Works Director Gene Field had made to his proposed budget at the request of the Budget Committee at their last meeting. Gene answered questions posed by the Board, and the Board approved Gene’s recommendations. Sabins also informed the Board that she has incurred much difficulty in finding a mowing contractor to mow cemeteries for the amount of money proposed in the budget for next year. After discussion, and on a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to increase the proposed cemetery expense to $28,000 from $21,000 and to propose to take $4,000 from the Perpetual Care Interest Fund to support the maintenance and capital improvement work the cemetery committee plans in the cemeteries in the upcoming year.
3. Fund Balance Policy – The Board reviewed the Fund Balance Policy that was adopted by the Board in 2012 and agreed by consensus that the contents of the policy is still applicable and no need for amendments.
4. Capital Expenses Resolution – On a motion made by L. Titus, seconded by R. Browne, the Board voted unanimously to approve the following resolution concerning Capital Expenses:
Capital Expenses Resolution
Whereas, the Vassalboro Board of Selectmen acknowledge that the Town of Vassalboro has a need to make capital purchases such as vehicles and equipment from time to time and that such purchases can be costly if not planned for in the budget, and
Whereas, the Board of Selectmen were concerned that not enough Capital Improvement Planning for financial purposes had taken place to avoid severe and sudden impact on the annual municipal tax rate, and
Whereas, the Board of Selectmen appointed a five-member volunteer committee, named them the Capital Expenses Committee, and charged them with the responsibility to study the capital improvement needs of the town over the next five to ten years, and
Whereas, the Committee has performed their work and produced a report that has recommended to the Board of Selectmen to set aside the amount of money equivalent to the approximate value of a mil on the tax commitment each budget year for capital improvement reserves, to allow funds for capital expenditures as necessary without a spike in the tax mil rate.
Therefore, the Vassalboro Board of Selectmen desire to let it be known that they adopt the concepts and the recommendation of the Capital Expenses Committee, and will seek to implement such a plan whenever possible, and as supported by the Budget Committee and the town meeting
Selectman Titus stated that he intends to bring the Fund Balance Policy and the Capital Expenses Resolution to the attention of the Budget Committee and to distribute copies of such to each member for their reference.
5. Other – 1. None.
6. Adjourn – There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 6:47 p.m. Sabins then made changes to the proposed budget documents and made duplicate copies of the budget and the above policy and resolution in time for the 7:00 p.m. meeting with the Budget Committee which followed this meeting.
These minutes were read and accepted by the Board of Selectmen on 4/7/15 with the following amendments: None.