Vassalboro Conservation Commission Meeting
January 21, 2016, 7pm
Attendees: Betsy Poulin: Chair/Secretary, Holly Weidner, David Jenney, Mary-Ellen Johnston
Absent: Steve Jones
1. Shoreland Zoning Updates
2. 2016 Goals
3. Sidewalk/Safety Project - Route 32
5. Town Forest Trails
6. Membership Dues
7. Annual Report
- Shoreland Zoning Updates
- The Planning Board is meeting on 3rd Tuesdays each month for a workshop to focus on updating the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance. If regular meetings on the 1st Tuesday of the month have no agenda items, or a short agenda, the Board works on the Ordinance revisions.
- Paul Mitnik was involved with Shoreland Zoning Mapping, he would have information about the data behind the map. Compare the maps with the Beginning with Habitat Mapping.
- 2016 Goals
- June Trail Day – Trail Work
- Vassalboro Days Event
- Signage for Trails
- Sidewalk Project
- Collaborate with Planning Board for Shoreland Zoning revisions
- Sidewalk/Safety Project – Route 32
- Holly is leading the efforts to revive the town sidewalk/safety projects, particularly in East Vassalboro.
- The Conservation Commission supports this project!
- $300 for signage is available in 2015/2016 budget and an additional $300 is requested for 2016/2017,
- Three signs are proposed for Vassalboro Town Forest, at each trailhead.
- Consider signage for 7 Mile Stream/Kennebec River Trail
- Town Forest Trails
- Co-Stewards could be Suzy and Lori
- The next Eagle Scout could create a Nature Trail Guide for the property
- #1 Sign – Successional Growth
- #2 Sign – Tree Types
- Is there maintenance equipment available from the Snowmobile Club? Potentially money from the town was used to purchase trail maintenance equipment.
- Mary-Ellen will talk with Mary Sabins about adding trail mowing to the town bids.
- Membership Dues
- The Maine Conservation Commission Association did not return calls, and does not appear to be actively functioning. The $165 dues typically sent will not occur this
- Annual Report – Due before the end of February