Minutes to the January 13 VCC meeting.
Vassalboro Conservation Commission
Met at 7:00 pm, Firehouse.
1. Discussion about the need to meet with the Planning Board.
We had already met with Ginny Brackett to offer help with the Open Space language in a revised Site Development ordinance. Paul Mitnik commented on the need for some additional up-dating of the ordinance, as it un-specific and vague in some places. We talked about reviewing the whole thing and offering our suggestions to the planning board. We are strictly concerned about sections that impact open space, natural resources and environmental issues surrounding developments. Paul will highlight these sections for us to look at.
2. Mary Ellen attended the Selectmen’s meeting in Nov to tell them about the progress of the VCC. They listened and asked a few questions, and were generally supportive and encouraging.
3. We discussed the pros and cons of joining MEACC, which has dues of $150. We agreed that it would be helpful for us to have this network of Conservation Commissions to learn from and share information with. We decided to request the $150 from the town in the new budget.
4. David Jenney reported on the deed research he did of the property at the Mill Pond site. He believes that the town has a right of way, but more research is needed.
Dave and Holly also walked the property off route 201 by the Oak Grove Apts.
5. We reviewed our priorities for 2009 and discussed ways we could become more visible in the community. Outreach is needed and we will develop a plan to participate in other community activities such as Vassalboro Days, the Historical Society’s Open Houses and the new Farmers Market.
The next meeting will be Feb. 10th at 7 PM , location to be determined.
Respectfully submitted ,
Mary Ellen Johnston, Chair