Meeting Vassalboro Conservation Commission
Minutes of February 20, 2014
Present: Mary Ellen Johnston, Paul Mitnik, Holly Weidner, Steve Jones
The meeting began at 7:00. The following was discussed
- We didn’t receive any money for the Project Canopy grant that was applied for recently. The purpose of the grant was to update the Forest Management Plan in the Town Forest. We plan to re-apply this year in the Fall. It may help our chances if we incorporate other items such as trails into the plan.
- We received a grant from the state for the East Vassalboro sidewalk project last May but there was no funding for it. Holly will meet with Dan Stewart of D.O.T. this coming Monday to discuss the Town matching of funds. The Town will have to fund some of the project with money besides the in-kind services proposed.
- Paul will ask CEO Bob Folsom about the status of the Subdivision Ordinance changes. We also will ask Bob to notify the Conservation Commission of any subdivision applications before the Planning Board.
- Paul will write something about the Spectacle Pond trails for the Conservation Commission website.
- Paul will research the KLT event proposed for their Webber Pond tract in brochures he received from KLT.
- May Ellen asked about Paul’s photos for the Kennebec River Canoe trip. It would be good to have a photo for the Town Report.
- We talked again about the possibility of community gardens for Town residents but were unsure of where they could be located. The Town Office plot has poor soils. Maybe raised beds could be put there?
- We hope to do another Kennebec River canoe trip in August.
The next meeting will be April 10.
The meeting ended at 8:30.
Paul Mitnik, Secretary